Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help with transfering embroidery design >

Need help with transfering embroidery design

Need help with transfering embroidery design

Old 09-15-2015, 08:15 AM
Power Poster

Default Need help with transfering embroidery design

I thought I saw a thread regarding a product that you could copy an embroidery design onto, then iron it onto your fabric and embroidery through it, tearing away excess and letting the remainder under the stitches dissolve with washing. I'm doing the pattern "Over the River and Through the Woods" and it has a tremendous amount of transferring to do. I also want to stitch it in black thread on a cream background; should I prewash the thread (I'm worried about it bleeding when I wet the fabric to remove the transfer product)?
Old 09-15-2015, 09:03 AM
Power Poster

I think it was a Sulky product but not sure.
I like to use my Frixion pens and a Crayola light box for transferring embroidery designs. I embroider over the Frixtion lines and use a hair dryer to remove the pen. You can iron to removFrixion but I don't like to squash my embroidery thread. I use Perle cotton in the little balls for Redwork. It comes in many colors and I have never had a problem with it bleeding.
If you are worried about your thread, cut a length and ball it up, wet it in hot water and place it on a white paper towel to dry. Once dry, check for any colour transfer to the paper towel.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:05 AM

I did Over the River. Just used a micron pigma pen size 0.1 and traced the pattern with a light box. I used a dark brown thread on a light brownish batik. It worked out well. Transferring didn't take that long. It goes quick. The thread covers the pen lines. No washing out.

Last edited by sewingitalltogether; 09-15-2015 at 09:08 AM.
Old 09-15-2015, 04:53 PM
JT

I did the Vintage Tin quilt. It has a similar amount or more of embroidery in it. I used Transfer Eze. With that you just run it through your printer, pull the paper off the back and place it on your fabric where you want the design. I trimmed away the extra after the embroider was done and then put that square in water and let the remaining solvent dissolve I the water. Saves tons of time.
Old 09-15-2015, 04:57 PM

The LQS where I bought a redwork pattern raved about Sulky Sticky Fabri-Solvy I haven't tried it yet but it is a printable, self-adhesive fabric-like water soluble stablizer.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:53 PM
Power Poster

Thanks everyone for the responses. I'm going to the quilting expo in Chattanooga tomorrow and hope to find the Sulky or Transfer Eze products there.