Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need help with ugly combo of fabric!

Help! I promised my 15 year old DD that I would make her a quilt with the fabric of her choice. I was going to use the Squares Upon Squares from Quilters Cache http://www.quilterscache.com/S/Squar...aresBlock.html
    BUT. Her fabric choices are going to be difficult to work with and now I don't think the pattern will work well. I am losing impetus to do this quilt because I really am having trouble envisioning how the fabrics will work with the pattern and I think I should change the pattern (she doesn't care about the pattern).

So I need some advice - stick with the pattern? Pick a new pattern? Any suggestions on which pattern? Here's the set of fabrics I have to work with.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think you could still do that pattern. Put the black in the center just like the pattern shows and off you go.

Remember, she likes the fabric. She will like the quilt.

You know as long as you use the black and white for the center, I think it will work. After all, colors kids pick out are their thing. Mostly likley woudn't be our thing. Do a test square and try it out.

How about tube quilting?

Or thinking outside the box. Here's a pretty one that Rachel did:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-89398-1.htm

Maybe throw in a solid black or tone on tone black to help separate the fabrics.

i think it will work but if not sure paste up a guide and take a look at it

Colors are very pretty.....I agree with everyone else, blk/whi should be the center block....My son does motocross and all he wanted was two colors, lime green and black, made up into simple checkerboard pattern...Talk about hard...I added a black and white racing check pattern to mix, used the tossed nine patch pattern, and as I sewed I kept saying, I love my son, I love my son, I love my son, I love my son....lolol When it was finished, it actually turned out really good...!! He loved it and so did his fiance'....Enjoy the ride.....She will love it.....

San
    FL

Quote Originally Posted by sewwhat85
    i think it will work but if not sure paste up a guide and take a look at it
    That was my suggestion. Get out your colored pencils and graph paper and sketch it out. I kind of like the combination myself.

Maybe something simple and modern, smaller offset squares inside squares? Then you could alternate the combos of inner and outer squares. If she wouldn't be upset if you added white that might look nice too and you'd have more options. Good luck, you are very sweet to let her pick the fabrics!

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I agree! You are a very nice Mom to let her choose :D

Blog Entries
    I love the pattern! Use the colours she chose, and she will be happy for a very long time. Pick something you like for the backing :)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast