Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help for very special project! >

Need help for very special project!

Need help for very special project!

Old 01-01-2014, 03:59 PM

Default Need help for very special project!

My 9 year old granddaughter has recently been relegated to a wheelchair for the forsee-able future. On the bright side, she has just received a fuschia wheelchair made just for her! My DD (a non-sewer) was thumbing through a Nancy's notions catalog and got the idea that I could make her a quilted book bag to hang on the back of the wheelchair. We live 1000 miles apart, which makes for not too good communication. Do any of you know of a pattern that could be altered for this purpose? I believe what she liked was made out of a jelly roll. So I need a pattern and the suggestion of a good jelly roll that would go with a fuschia wheelchair. I have to shop on line, so I can't tell about colors very well. I did see Daisy Mae by Benartex, but can't tell if it is hot pink or fuschia. Any help would be appreciated. TIA!
Old 01-01-2014, 04:02 PM

I would google wheelchair book bags or something similar and you'll find some ideas.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:03 PM
Power Poster

So sorry about your granddaughter!. I would think hot pink and fuschia are very near the same. Fuschia I believe has a touch of purple. Oops! maybe that's magenta. I would look at the MSQC page and check out their jelly rolls or any of the other sites. Prayers from the gulf for your grand.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:13 PM

found this link which might help: http://www.sewingsupport.com/sewing-...lker-bags.html

I scanned through the newest Nancy's Notions catalog and did not specifically see a pattern. Nancy's notions is also on-line so you can look there. I would suggest going with batiks based on the colors and your DGD's age.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:17 PM

http://www.sewingsupport.com/sewing-...lker-bags.html
Old 01-01-2014, 04:22 PM

I second the batik idea. Unless she likes more "traditional' fabric. I would also go with them because they will grow with her. You could maybe modify a walker type bag to the wheel chair. I might also make a special wheelchair throw with some steps or ties to help keep it on. Maybe make the two items out of the same fabric. Have your daughter measure your gd while she is in the chair to get a good idea of size to make it. I am guessing probably around 30x40ish in size. Also with the batik you can get a a jelly roll or charm pack that would have many shades of pink that would work.Hope this helps
Old 01-01-2014, 04:59 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

Just curious, how can she get into the bag if it's tied to the back of the wheelchair? Wouldn't it be better if it were tied to the side of the wheelchair? Just my brain thinking.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:17 PM

I don't know if this helps, but if you search the school catalogs there are bags that hang off the back of chairs. They are primarily made for kinder students, but the concept is the same. It is more of a flap that goes over the back of,each chair.....just a thought.....best of luck!
Old 01-01-2014, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
Just curious, how can she get into the bag if it's tied to the back of the wheelchair? Wouldn't it be better if it were tied to the side of the wheelchair? Just my brain thinking.
I think it's for convenience for whoever may be pushing her or accompanying her? I think fuschia is a great color for a little girl's wheelchair!

When my Dh was using a walker due to a broken leg, he used a lumber yard nail apron to carry the phone, etc., in it. (I was too overwhelmed to make one!) Even something that simple would work, but you probably want a flap.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:28 PM

I have a son in a wheelchair. I've made him simple bags, but you 1st need the measurements of the wheelchair. As someone suggested you can also make one for the side. That would be smaller and fit to the inside of the chair. We used this for valuables, money, keys, pencils or pens, etc. so that it wasn't available to everyone. Someone helped him get things out of the back bag. You do need to measure to know the width for all bags.