Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Help on Wavy Butterfly Blocks,no they aren't trying to Fly. >

Need Help on Wavy Butterfly Blocks,no they aren't trying to Fly.

Need Help on Wavy Butterfly Blocks,no they aren't trying to Fly.

Old 09-15-2009, 02:17 PM

HI Everyone,
Desperatly trying to get this quilt finished. I appliqued the Butterflies on a 10" Block. Finshed Bock is 9" I used Pellon for stablizier. Not the Tear and wash that will tear easily. Didn't have enough for that,went to 2 different stores and couldn't find any. So I used the regular Pellon Stabilizer. Hard to get off. I finally got all I was going to off this afternoon. There are 15 Blocks in all. After I got all the paper I could off and I was setting up to square the blocks I noticed they were wavy. Now should I Press before I square? Or Not press,Square and put sashes on? I have appliqued before but only on a whole cloth quilt.
Anyway I want to do it the best way. PLEASE let me know what you have done or not done on something like this. Posting a Picture. Will not square until I here from you.
BillsBonBon

Attached Thumbnails attachment-12745.jpe  
Old 09-15-2009, 02:25 PM
Power Poster

The best thing to do is block them. Sharon Schamber has great videos on Youtube that demonstrate how she blocks. One shows how to stretch out a too-small block, while another shows how to shrink a wavy block. Here is a link to one of them. Sorry, I don't remember which video this is. If it's not the one you need, look for another one by her on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-3RIWhBvcA

I know Sharon says to use a hard pressboard (she has another video on how to make one of those) but, for the type of applique you have, I think I would use a towel underneath when blocking so the satin stitching has something to sink into.

When I do satin stitch applique like yours, I don't use a stabilizer at all. I starch the background fabric very heavily instead. Before cutting the background fabric, I mix a 1:1 solution of liquid Sta-Flo starch and water. I put the fabric on my kitchen island and "paint" the fabric with this solution using a large wall painting brush. I throw the saturated fabric in the dryer, then steam iron. The fabric comes out nice and stiff and will keep its shape through all kinds of handling. I have had no tunnelling with satin stitch using this method. I always wash my quilts when they are finished and, of course, the starch just washes out. HTH!
Old 09-15-2009, 02:43 PM
Power Poster

I would give Sharon's tute a try also!
I use spray starch like Prism99 uses the liquid. I soak it well, only I usually line dry mine and then press it. I like it better than trying to remove stabilizers. :wink:
Old 09-15-2009, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
The best thing to do is block them. Sharon Schamber has great videos on Youtube that demonstrate how she blocks. One shows how to stretch out a too-small block, while another shows how to shrink a wavy block. Here is a link to one of them. Sorry, I don't remember which video this is. If it's not the one you need, look for another one by her on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-3RIWhBvcA

I know Sharon says to use a hard pressboard (she has another video on how to make one of those) but, for the type of applique you have, I think I would use a towel underneath when blocking so the satin stitching has something to sink into.

When I do satin stitch applique like yours, I don't use a stabilizer at all. I starch the background fabric very heavily instead. Before cutting the background fabric, I mix a 1:1 solution of liquid Sta-Flo starch and water. I put the fabric on my kitchen island and "paint" the fabric with this solution using a large wall painting brush. I throw the saturated fabric in the dryer, then steam iron. The fabric comes out nice and stiff and will keep its shape through all kinds of handling. I have had no tunnelling with satin stitch using this method. I always wash my quilts when they are finished and, of course, the starch just washes out. HTH!

Thank You,Thank You Prism99. I looked at Sharons utube Tute. That is what I am going to do. Next time I do this I am going to use your way. I am bookmarking it and printing it out so I can have it in my files.
No more stabilizer for a big project like I have in the Butterflies. Fingers are sore from tearing out that paper.
BillsBonBon
Old 09-15-2009, 04:15 PM
Power Poster

I found her other video on squaring up a block. This might be the one that is more useful to you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6apl...eature=related