Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need help with Wind in the Whiskers pattern >

need help with Wind in the Whiskers pattern

need help with Wind in the Whiskers pattern

Old 11-24-2013, 04:59 PM

Default need help with Wind in the Whiskers pattern

Hopefully someone who has made this kit can help me.

So I bought the kit and a fabric bundle. I tried to start block 1 and am confused by the instructions. I may be too hopped up on cold medicine to get it, but I can't figure something out.

It says to cut the quilt background to 29.5 x 28. In the list of fabrics it does not list a background fabric.

I assumed when I bought it that I would use the gradient robin's egg as the background, and fuse on the green grass etc. But the fabric lists a strip for the sky. ????

Am I supposed to use a plain fabric for a background and iron on a strip of blue for the background sky? Or am I supposed to use a big piece of blue and iron on the green grass/hills?

HELP. I am feeling kind of frustrated today.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:57 PM

Is there a way for you to contact either the designer of the kit or the retailer for assistance?
Old 11-24-2013, 06:24 PM

I emailed the address on the website, but its the weekend. I know some folks here have made this quilt so I was hoping one would see it and tell me.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:40 PM

I haven't made it, but I did make a kit table runner lately and it did NOT come with the backing fabric...so I had to order it and pay separate shipping and wait for it to arrive...I wasn't too thrilled with that...I will ask before I buy another.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:20 PM

its not the backing, but background
Old 11-24-2013, 07:54 PM

I know most people say to start with cutting largest pieces first but I find that doesn't always work for me. Not familiar with this particular quilt. I know you are anxious to get started but wait for the designer/retailer response as there may be corrections of which you are not aware.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:39 PM

The size is for the front of the quilt. Onto which all the other pieces go, almost like a stabilizer.i can't remember if it shows . If not then a light muslin or similar will be fine.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:44 AM

Theres no size listed on my pattern, and the directions clearly say to cut the backing to 28x29.5. Sooo, there *is* a separate backing to iron on the other pieces? Does it actually say that in the directions and I am too dumb to find it or what? Because it totally SHOULD say that!!

Thanks for your help!
Old 11-25-2013, 10:04 AM

Do you think that when they say "backing" they mean "background"?
Old 11-25-2013, 07:35 PM

I've made a couple of McKenna's quilts, but not this one. My fabric kits had stickers on each cut piece identifying it by number and color. Go to her web site, www.pineneedles.com, select "Fabric Lists", and click on "Wind in the Whiskers Fabric List." On the second page you will see the background fabrics for all 7 blocks. Are you able to identify the background fabric from this? I think she usually uses the sky fabric as the background for each block. A double check in your case might be to see if the measurements of the background are the same as the individual block.

Also note under "Corrections" that there are 3 for this quilt, and that there is a toll-free number to call under "Contact Us" if all this doesn't answer your question.

Don't mind this minor bump in the road--you will have a fabulous time making this quilt!