Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need ideas to host quilt group on Valentine's Day

Need ideas to host quilt group on Valentine's Day

Our group consists of retired women with diverse interests, such as a crafty person, a quilt entusiast, a machine q1uilter, hand quilter, etc. I would like to set up tables and have a game and a favor and some other entertainment so that it is not an entirely chat sassion. Help, please.

How about having them bring their sewing machines and do a mystery project?

Everyone can still have a good visit, be entertained with their productivity ... and go home with their own created "favour"!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What is the purpose of the event? I mean is it to teach, to chat, or do a project? I think I would "highlight" a person and ask them to do their specialty, make them a star guest.
    Vicki

Central Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Revert to childhood and cut hearts from folded papers; use these later do make a project in their chosen craft.

Decorate heart-shaped cookies; even grown-ups enjoy this activity.

Make yo-yos of red fabrics they have each brought to the gathering.

Using scraps of threads, fibers, beads, yarns, fabrics, or decorative items, have them each make a small heart-shaped pin to trade within the group.

Have them each the story of how they met their Valentine.

Wish I could be there with you all; it sounds like a lovely afternoon.
    Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.

Out of this group do you only have one person that quilts using a machine? Only one that quilts by hand? That makes just 2 quilters in your group. What is the purpose of your group?

The only way I'll drop 10 pounds is to go shopping in England. - Maxine-

If you have enough people in your group, try playing BUNCO!! Always fun!!
    Marie

You don't stop laughing because you grow old. You grow old because you stop laughing.
    A smile is something you can't give away; it always comes back to you.

Quote Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
    Out of this group do you only have one person that quilts using a machine? Only one that quilts by hand? That makes just 2 quilters in your group. What is the purpose of your group?
    I didn't say only two people quilt in our group. I was merely pointing out the diversity of the group. Any positive suggestions would have been welcome. The purpose of our group is to embrace diversity while enjoying quilting.

That sounds fascinating, but outside my experience of a quilting group. I would be interested to know what you end up doing during your quilting group time. I did not understand from your first posting that you were talking about a quilting group.

The only way I'll drop 10 pounds is to go shopping in England. - Maxine-

Blog Entries
    I have a suggestion for a favor. I am making these for the ladies that will be attending a retreat in mid Feb. It is simple and quick to make. It is a thread catcher. You can find it by searching for 'triangular thread catcher tutorial' by Needling Things. You could fill them with wrapped treats or adapt them to use as place card. The only change i made (since i was making 17 of them) was to layer 2 strips of fabric about 9" to 9.5" right sides together. I laid the copy of the triangular template on the fabric and cut it with my acrylic ruler and rotary cutter, then trimmed the corners. You can lay the edge of the template right next to each cut you make. The fabrics are then ready to sew together. I think they are really cute!
    HisPatchwork

Blog Entries
    For games, i like word searches. You can generate word search puzzles online using your own words. I have used them with kid's spelling words when homeschooling. I should make some of them to take to retreat.
    HisPatchwork

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast