Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Ideas...please help! >

Need Ideas...please help!

Need Ideas...please help!

Old 03-27-2012, 03:21 PM

Default Need Ideas...please help!

I need help. Working on a wholecloth that I hope to enter in shows. I have been dreaming of this quilt for years. Finally got around to actually doing it. But I am stuck at the moment and just not sure what to do. It is a circular quilt. I have quilted most of the quilt with a stipple stitch. But on the very last ring, I am just not sure what type of quilting I should do. I am not opposed to ending the quilt before the last ring. This is still very much a work in progress. So I will take any ideas you guys have.
Thanks in advance,
Jackie
Attached Thumbnails madala2.jpg   mandala1.jpg  
Old 03-27-2012, 04:34 PM

Pebble or crosshatch.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:50 PM
Banned

you are going to have to quilt it pretty tight to keep it from being distorted. Your open design elements are already showing the difference from the quilted to not quilted and you must retain that same line!
Old 03-27-2012, 06:58 PM

I was going to say crosshatch also. A contrast to the curvy stippling. It's beautiful!
Old 03-27-2012, 07:31 PM
Power Poster

I think I would try pebbling too. It will match the "weight" of the stipple and also allow you to use up the extra fabric? It's hard to tell from the picture but it looks like you have extra fullness there due to the dense quilting in the center? I like the idea of echo quilting with straight stitching in that area but I think you may run into a problem with the fabric making a ripple as you proceed.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:05 PM

Little trees is what I call the quilting that is done in lines top to bottom and bottom to top. I don't think I can get my typing to show what I mean, so I will try and explain it. With your thread at the top of the area you want to quilt drop down lets say an inch, take your free motion and go up at a 45% about 1/2 inch. Cross over the stitching to the other side. Drop down at a 45% angle again to form a point like an arrow. Now you have made 1 unit. You can make these smaller or larger. Some of the Japanese quilts at festival had this kind of stipple. You can have these little 'trees' as close together as you wish.

For me I have found you are either a round shape free motion person, or an angular one. I am a round! Stippling the way you have it is round. You can do the same stipple and make it look angular. You can also make it look like pine needles, and little branches of trees. With any of these suggestions I would hope you would practice. Some freemotion does well with sectioning off areas, like blocks, with a chalk pencil, or even with your stippling.