• Main
  • Need ideas for scrappy border >
  • Need ideas for scrappy border

• Need ideas for scrappy border

Old 08-24-2011, 11:08 PM
    k3n
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
    Dumb question but what is a piano key border?
    It just means that you cut all the strips to whatever width you want the border to be (plus seams obviously) then join them randomly by their long edges until they're long enough to make the border. It supposedly looks like the piano keyboard. ;-)

I think they look best if there's a skinny border to match the binding (preferably a darker solid fabric) between the 'piano keys' and the centre, so it's kind of framed. Otherwise it can look a bit messy. :-D
    Old 08-25-2011, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
    It just means that you cut all the strips to whatever width you want the border to be (plus seams obviously) then join them randomly by their long edges until they're long enough to make the border. It supposedly looks like the piano keyboard. ;-)

I think they look best if there's a skinny border to match the binding (preferably a darker solid fabric) between the 'piano keys' and the centre, so it's kind of framed. Otherwise it can look a bit messy. :-D
    This is the EQ5 layout of the quilt. The greens are different than what I actually have and I decided to go with a solid black instead of a tone-on-tone. I'm digging the piano key border and I like your idea of putting in an inner border. I already have solid black so I'm thinking maybe I could use a tone-on-tone black for the inner border and binding so it doesn't blend in with the solid black and frame the quilt nicely.
    [IMG]http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q...rAlternate.png[/IMG]
    Old 08-25-2011, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by k3n

The picture in my avatar is a quilt with a piano key border, as well as a thin separating border. I made the "keys" in my border scrappy as well, but usually each key is a single fabric. Here's the link, if you'd like to see it bigger- http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-134899-1.htm :)
    Old 08-25-2011, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Kristin in ME
    Originally Posted by k3n

The picture in my avatar is a quilt with a piano key border, as well as a thin separating border. I made the "keys" in my border scrappy as well, but usually each key is a single fabric. Here's the link, if you'd like to see it bigger- http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-134899-1.htm :)
    Nice quilt! How did you finish off the corners of your border?
    Old 08-25-2011, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by k3n

Thank you! I'm actually leaving the four-poster cutouts just as you see them in the photo. When I eventually finish quilting it, I will bind it all in the red.
    Old 08-25-2011, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by k3n

Thank you! I'm actually leaving the four-poster cutouts just as you see them in the photo. When I eventually finish quilting it, I will bind it all in the red.
    Never seen a quilt with the corners left out like that. But I like it!
    Old 08-25-2011, 03:58 PM

look here for some ideas that will work with your quilt.

http://www.quilterscache.com/B/Borders.html
    Old 08-25-2011, 06:26 PM
    Power Poster

I use the piano key border a lot. Here's an example - http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-23986-1.htm
    Old 08-25-2011, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by dunster
    I use the piano key border a lot. Here's an example - http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-23986-1.htm
    That is gorgeous!
    Old 08-26-2011, 10:33 AM
    Power Poster

I'm not sure that piano keys is the best border for your beautiful quilt, because it is all straight lines. I think I would try to preserve the curves of the center portion of the quilt. This is one idea.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-247059.jpe