Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need ideas for some favors . . . >

Need ideas for some favors . . .

Need ideas for some favors . . .

Old 03-26-2015, 06:41 AM

www.kelbysews.com

This website won't work for me is it correct?
Old 03-26-2015, 01:04 PM

Yes! You CAN do that zipper, trust me, I was scared of the zipper deal too, but I made 2 of the boxy bags like Jeanne S above, they are sooooo easy, love them!!!! But, she says get a 12 inch zipper, I'm thinking at least a 14 inch because the fabric is cut to 13.5, and I think it says to have at least that long or longer? Just went and got me some more zippers, I loved making these, got a sewing apron for christmas with spools on it, soo cute, but I'll probably never wear it, so thinking about cutting it and making one of these bags to bring my hexies "on the go" kit!
Old 03-26-2015, 06:40 PM

Default Kelby sews site

Originally Posted by imsewnso View Post
www.kelbysews.com

This website won't work for me is it correct?
I put in kelby sews boxy bag tutorial in Google search and found this
http://kelbysews.blogspot.com/2014/0...-tutorial.html
Old 03-26-2015, 07:08 PM

Microwave bowl holders. I have made & sold many of these & are fast & easy to make.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:23 PM

the small quilted boxes are great, and you could put in something quilty, or even some candies
Old 03-26-2015, 08:35 PM

Thanks for posting the correct link to the boxy bag tutorial, Sewbeeit42! One of these days I will learn how to do links!

and Latrinka, the 12" zipper worked perfect for me--the zipper tape on a 12" zipper measures 13 1/2" which matched up perfectly to the cut dimensions of the fabric and this way you don't have to sew over the teeth of the zipper and possibly break a machine needle. But if you have longer zippers on hand I have seen other tutorials that sew the side seams right over the teeth of the zipper and cut off the excess length. So either one would probably work.

Last edited by Jeanne S; 03-26-2015 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:46 PM

A braided belt made with strips from an old tee shirt, or a beaded neck scarf with same material. Just cut across tee shirt with no side seams , stretch out, gather together several strips, wind a rubbery band round the strips and braid to desired length wind thread or yarn round both ends and tie or twist through braid. An oversized button, buckle or vintage brooch is a nice touch.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
Thanks for posting the correct link to the boxy bag tutorial, Sewbeeit42! One of these days I will learn how to do links!

and Latrinka, the 12" zipper worked perfect for me--the zipper tape on a 12" zipper measures 13 1/2" which matched up perfectly to the cut dimensions of the fabric and this way you don't have to sew over the teeth of the zipper and possibly break a machine needle. But if you have longer zippers on hand I have seen other tutorials that sew the side seams right over the teeth of the zipper and cut off the excess length. So either one would probably work.
Oh, ok. I borrowed some zippers from a neighbor, and they were like 20 and 22 inch I think, but I had read where you can sew over the nylon ones, and just cut excess off. Was a little nervous doing this, but just went slow, and it worked fine. Glad to know that 12 inch would really be the right size for this, just bought 2 14 inch at joanns day before yesterday, but oh well! Can still use them at least. Wish I could post photos of the two I made, they came out really cute I think.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:24 AM

Thanks for the link I will definitely be making a few of these.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:17 AM

Check the Pellon website. They have a lot of patterns / tutorials for small gifty items. There is a pattern for a spiral notebook cover with a zippered pencil pocket included. My daughter, who did very little sewing, made several of these.

Also, check the free patterns at Craftsy.

Here is the website for the key fob - http://ellisonlane.com/2014/05/key-fob-tutorial.html It also gives the Etsy link for the key fob hardware.

These are quick and easy wine glass coasters - http://weallsew.com/2013/10/30/betty...lippercoaster/

For Sewers/Quilters, you could make stilettos. I found these skewers at Amazon.com http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2012/...stilettos.html

And these are cute little birdie pincushions - http://www.rileyblakedesigns.com/cut...little-birdie/

Someone already suggested tissue holders. How about microwave bowl holders or luggage tags.