Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need InPut and Ideas >

Need InPut and Ideas

Need InPut and Ideas

Old 05-22-2011, 01:38 PM

Hello all,
I am so glad I found this site again. I moved to SC and lost the site. After lots of searching I found it.
Anyway...here is what I want to do.
I want to make a wall hanging quilt for my Sunday School Class. I have an idea of what I want but not sure how to put it together as far as the pattern.
I want a big block in the middle that says Sisterhood (name of our class). I would like to incorporate blocks where the girls can sign the quilt or put in their own thoughts. And then of course add inspirational sayings throughout the quilt.
Any ideas on the block size, pattern, etc..? The colors I want to use will be a bright pink and white with a contrasting color? Any suggestions on colors?
Old 05-22-2011, 01:52 PM
Power Poster

Lime green looks good with pink:)
Old 05-22-2011, 02:02 PM

I'd use a simple block design so there is room for added creativity. Lime and pink are great together. Purple would work well too...maybe for the lettering? There are MANY 12" block patterns free on the internet.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:07 PM

Love the lime green idea!! Can they sign the quilt after it is quilted or is it better for them to sign before?
Old 05-22-2011, 02:10 PM

I would favor the purple with the pink. Depending on how many are in the class, and how many phrase blocks you want to add, you might want blocks a littler smaller than 12". Figure how many blocks you will need, and the size of the quilt, and divide to get the number of blocks. Does that make sense?
Old 05-22-2011, 02:18 PM

Chocolate brown & pink are popular. Other colors would be turquoise or lime green. The girls could add their favorite Bible verses or you could present some that they can choose from: eg A friend loves at all times or A friend sticks closer than a brother. (Excuse my para phrase & lack of verse info) You could look for signature blocks that would give you some ideas for blocks to write on. Hope you & the girls have fun with this project.
Old 05-22-2011, 03:25 PM

A friend has her second graders write on a strip of white that is about 3 inches wide and width of fabric, then trims off the part they don't write on. She then alternates them around a central item like your sisterhood name with the colored fabric she uses. You could do a large log cabin like that. Just a thought. Good luck with your project,
Old 05-23-2011, 10:43 AM

When we made topic quilts in 1st Grade, I would use masking tape to hold the fabric still on the formica tables/desks while the students wrote or drew pictures. Besides holding the fabric taut, it helped to give them a sense of a "border" within which they could contain the picture/wording.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:38 PM

Does any other group use that Sunday School room? What colors are the walls, etc.?

I would the wall quilt to stand out nicely and not clash with its surroundings or make anyone uncomfortable.

Anyone in the group ... or a friend have an embroider machine to do the verses?

Just thinking our loud.

ali
Old 05-23-2011, 02:10 PM
Power Poster

I will post a pic of a Hearts in Hand quilt I did for a kindergarden class. Look for it in "pictures"