Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need a little help from my friends/disappearing nine patch >

need a little help from my friends/disappearing nine patch

need a little help from my friends/disappearing nine patch

Old 01-04-2015, 10:04 AM

Default D9P Therapy! Really!

I got "burned out" a little making (planning, cutting and doing the massive layout and piecing) for a super-king sized quilt, so challenged myself with a controlled, CRIB sized D9P with ONLY 10 fabrics. 9 for the front, and a very bright, beautiful bird fabric for the back. None of the 9 were "matched", although I did try to be consistent with the contrast. Once I pieced and sliced the first block, I took pictures of the different layouts, then used my PC to show the finished idea. Chose one layout, and then did all the top piecing at one go. Then I ironed and put it all away for the day. Took time to visit, enjoy the sights and relax. Next day, I checked the ironing, made the final cuts, flipped all blocks the correct way (by the plan!) and pieced it all together. 3rd day, sandwiched the whole thing. Hot pink thread on top, light mauve in bobbin and FMQ bubbles or pebbles, or grapes, whatever you want to call them. That was the best part of the whole process. In about a week of total time, I had a crib quilt ready, and my co-workers grandson, cares NOT that I used pink threads, he loves his bright quilt!

9 patch, in any form, is very forgiving of colors. Have fun, and enjoy the finished product. If an all over pattern is your goal, use your camera or even better, grid paper and color the layout. The final product may be more subtle than you planned, but YOU know what's there. AND everyone who looks at the quilt, will be in awe of what you've created!
Attached Thumbnails d9p-front-closeup-small-.jpg   d9p-front-small-.jpg   d9p-back-small-.jpg  
Old 01-04-2015, 11:00 AM

A quilter friend of mine made one that lookes very "traditional". She kept the 3 middle blocks going up and 3 going down in the 9-patch the same in all the blocks. When she cut them, she was able to sew them together looking like a traditional sashing with cornerstones. It was very pretty and was made using shirtings. I had a hard time seeing the D9P!!
Old 01-05-2015, 10:02 AM

Love the black/teal version...

Originally Posted by katier825 View Post
When you make the original 9-patch, if you keep the centers all the same color, they can create a secondary pattern. Whatever you put on the outer 4 corners of the original 9 patch remain same size squares and the other 4 pieces end up as rectangles.

Here are some pics of ones I did. In both, they were scrappy, but I kept the same colors in the same positions of the original blocks.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...e-t162092.html
Old 01-05-2015, 04:33 PM

This is what mine looks like. All my center blocks were black. The rest of the nine patch can be anything you want.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 01-06-2015, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by reneaunoel View Post
I got "burned out" a little making (planning, cutting and doing the massive layout and piecing) for a super-king sized quilt, so challenged myself with a controlled, CRIB sized D9P with ONLY 10 fabrics. 9 for the front, and a very bright, beautiful bird fabric for the back. None of the 9 were "matched", although I did try to be consistent with the contrast. Once I pieced and sliced the first block, I took pictures of the different layouts, then used my PC to show the finished idea. Chose one layout, and then did all the top piecing at one go. Then I ironed and put it all away for the day. Took time to visit, enjoy the sights and relax. Next day, I checked the ironing, made the final cuts, flipped all blocks the correct way (by the plan!) and pieced it all together. 3rd day, sandwiched the whole thing. Hot pink thread on top, light mauve in bobbin and FMQ bubbles or pebbles, or grapes, whatever you want to call them. That was the best part of the whole process. In about a week of total time, I had a crib quilt ready, and my co-workers grandson, cares NOT that I used pink threads, he loves his bright quilt!

9 patch, in any form, is very forgiving of colors. Have fun, and enjoy the finished product. If an all over pattern is your goal, use your camera or even better, grid paper and color the layout. The final product may be more subtle than you planned, but YOU know what's there. AND everyone who looks at the quilt, will be in awe of what you've created!
Thank you so much for all your explanation/help. It helps me a lot. ��
Old 01-06-2015, 07:42 AM

Oh boy, this certainly is a "I can do anything I want" pattern. Very versatile (sp?...senior moment).