Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need a new machine so looking for some advice .... >

Need a new machine so looking for some advice ....

Need a new machine so looking for some advice ....

Old 09-11-2009, 11:36 AM

My machine broke (was a simple Brother machine - no bells & whistles) and would be $80 to repair ... seems futile to me since I can go buy a brand new simple machine for not much more. That being said - I'd like to get one that has a few bells and whistles in it, but won't cost an arm & a leg.

The guy at the local store suggested a Janome DC2010 ... for $399.

Anyone have any other suggestions - somewhere in the $200 - $400 range?

Thanks!
Beverly
Old 09-11-2009, 11:48 AM

Have you considered buying a used machines? The ones made about 20 years ago were among the best made. Ask those who have owned them this long. I have bought 2 machines (exactly like the one I bought 20 years ago) on eBay in the past year. The original price was $1500 and I got them each for less than $200 each. I knew this was a machine I would buy again.

I kept one for a spare and gave one to my daughter. I am not convinced that today's machines are well made unless you pay a lot of money for them. The members here will tell you which ones they have used for 10 or 20 years that are still going strong.

I knew that if my machine ever died, I would not want to have to go to Wal-Mart or somewhere else and buy a cheap machine. Buying something that has been tried and true, is a good bet.

I have not been disappointed in the used machines I have purchases.

June
Old 09-11-2009, 11:51 AM

My first sewing machine was $400, I think. A Viking. Very nice machine, did what I needed it to do. Then I upgraded to a Bernina 430. Quite a bit more and I remember thinking that I was crazy for spending so much on a machine. And then I started using it and it made it all worth it.

I would suggest making sure your machine has some basic quilters' friends bells and whistles. I love the needle down. When I bought the Viking, they said I could just turn the wheel and I was like "oh, ok, makes sense" and then I started using the needle down on my Bernina, and it's great. Things are easier to manipulate, things don't get messed up as easily, love it

Also, my Bernina has one of those attachable trays to give you more surface. Again, didn't know what I was missing until I used it.

I also love how easy it is to wind the bobbin, but that I could live without. Some of the other things - 100 stitches, reversible stitching patterns - are cool but I could live without them.

So back to you - I would suggest thinking about the cool upgrades that you love and couldn't live without (my 2 are above) and just make sure your Janome has those
Old 09-11-2009, 06:54 PM

I would also suggest looking for a used, old, great machine rather than an ok new one. I have a Bernina 910, about 23 years old and I still LOVE it. I would NEVER get rid of it. Never in all those 23 years have I had to have it in for repair. There has never been a day when I wanted to sit and sew, that I couldn't because my machine wouldn't. That being said, it was made before all the new bells and whistles that are out there now, so, no it won't embroider, or do other fancy things - I don't even know what the new machines can do now, I haven't looked because I still love, love, love my machine. I know that if I wanted a new one, I would want a Bernina and I couldn't afford a new one, most likely. The only bad thing about it is it is heavy, all metal, no plastic, so to take it to a class is tough but doable. I would like an old Singer featherweight just for classes. One more thing, if you have ever sewn on a machine that feels like it is going to end up on the other side of the room, you would really appreciate a Bernina, smooth as silk.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:23 PM

I too own a Bernina mine is the 185e. I love love love it. Mine was however pricy. It has and embroidery system and all the bells and whistles. I want the Bernina 830 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: thats what DH says. Actually I am very happy with what I have. I too would stress that paying for quality now will save headaches down the road.

My favorite must have features for quilting are also the needle up down feature as well as the adaptable sewing table that comes with the Bernina. i also have the bigger plexi glass table that fits. I originally bought the machine I have for apparel sewing. Button Holes are a breeze, but, it fits right into my quilting world to. Smooth as butter and more reliable than any other machine in my house.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:28 PM

I just bought a great new machine from Costco. It's a Brother XR-9000. I posted about it on this site a few days ago. It's not listed on their site and Costco says it's a new model.

It cost $189.99 and has 80 stitches, plus one monogram font, 8 one touch buttonholes, a top drop bobbin, automatic needle threader and start/stop buttons (plus a foot pedal). It came with a few extras for quilting: an extended quilting table arm (adds about 12 inches to the machine) and the free motion foot. It didn't come with a 1/4" foot or the walking foot but I got both at JoAnn for $20.

I had also purchased a Brother CS-6000 from Walmart.com the week before. It cost only $174.99. It is the exact same machine except that it only had 60 stitches and no monogram. It came with the same quilting table, free motion foot, AND the walking foot and 1/4" foot. I had it a week and really liked it. The only reason I returned it was b/c I saw the Costco one at the store and thought, "hey, 20 more stitches!".

Both machines are quiet and don't shake when stitching fast (even through layers). I'm very pleased with how easy it is to select a stitch and change the feet. I didn't want to spend much money on a machine b/c I'm really just a casual quilter and crafter. I think I got a great value for the price.

The Walmart machine is only available online and the Costco model is only available in teh store. (Costco did tell me that they're going to start featuring it online, but who knows when that will be.)