Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need new sewing machine=which one? >

Need new sewing machine=which one?

Need new sewing machine=which one?

Old 02-24-2010, 05:44 AM

Hi Everyone,
New from Colo. I need a new sewing machine. Looked at the Bernina 830. Gulp! Worth the money?
Old 02-24-2010, 05:49 AM
Banned

Hi Kay! Welcome from another Coloradan :)

Can't help with the Berninas ~ I just bought a Janome, but wanted to say HI!
Old 02-24-2010, 05:52 AM

I also looked at the Pfaff Creative Vision. Where in CO. Aurora here.
Kay
Old 02-24-2010, 05:54 AM
Banned

Grand Junction.

I recently went through the same thing....was looking at Janome versus Bernina. All I have to say is that Bernina owners LOVE their machines and so do Janome owners :)

It pretty much seems to come down to get the best you can afford and has all the bells and whistles you want....I don't think you can go wrong with any of those brands.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:59 AM

I also looked at the Pfaff Creative Vision. Where in CO. Aurora here.
Kay
Old 02-24-2010, 06:03 AM

Oops did that wrong Posted twice sorry
Kay
Old 02-24-2010, 06:06 AM

It depends upon what you really desire to sew. I bought a high end machine...and now do nothing but straight lines and quilting. So - wasted money on my part. If I replaced it, I would now be able to better identify what type of sewing I really do. And buy based upon that.

Just a thought...buy what you will use. Brand - the truth is that they are all really good - it's simply a matter of personal preference.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:26 AM

My vote goes to the Bernina :) My husband bought my 180E, embroidery machine for me for Xmas in 1999. And used it for piecing and embroidery for awhile. Then set it up for emboridery only last year. Last year I bought a used 150QE for piecing. I'm not sure about other machines but the Berninas have different bobbin systems. Some are better for embroidery and some are better for straight stitching (piecing) thats why I bought the 150QE, the bobbin system is better for piecing. Don't over look a used machine. I bought mine from a Bernina dealer. I knew she would stand behind her machines. Do your research to find a machine that fits what you want to do. Do not purchase one on $ alone. You get what you pay for.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:46 AM

Hi. I'm from Colorado too. I have a 440 and I love it. I'd like to have a low bobbin indicator on my machine and the wider stitch width of some of their premium machines. Otherwise, the one I have does everything I need it to do. I guess it just depends on what you want it to be able to do. You'd be hard pressed to complain about it if you got it I bet (except when the bill came) :-)
Old 02-24-2010, 06:47 AM
Power Poster

Buy what you can afford and not lose sleep over. I have one friend who could buy a dozen of any machine she wants anytime she wants. What does she buy? She buys the inexpensive WalMart sewing machine, sews on it ninety to nothing until it breaks and then buys another one. Those machines will machine quilt! They usually last her about a year or more. So it's all a matter of what you feel comfortable buying. I've never heard a bad word about a Bernina. If you plan on using the same machine for years buy a quality brand name machine.