Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: need an opinion of border width

need an opinion of border width

I am trying to finish up a one block wonder quilt, in shades of blue with a hint of white. I was not thinking of the outcome when I laid out my blocks. Now as I am bordering it, I am feeling that it will be too long. I have a 2.5" dk blue border, a 1.5" white Michael Miller sparkle, and I was planning on a 5 or 6" dk blue border. right now it is about 86 x 55. I need an opinion if all the outer borders need to be the same width, or could they be wider on the sides and maybe just 3" top and bottom? Help!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandynorm View Post
    I am trying to finish up a one block wonder quilt, in shades of blue with a hint of white. I was not thinking of the outcome when I laid out my blocks. Now as I am bordering it, I am feeling that it will be too long. I have a 2.5" dk blue border, a 1.5" white Michael Miller sparkle, and I was planning on a 5 or 6" dk blue border. right now it is about 86 x 55. I need an opinion if all the outer borders need to be the same width, or could they be wider on the sides and maybe just 3" top and bottom? Help!!!
    You can do it that way. I've had to because it wasn't wide enough, but it would have been too long.
    Love to quilt and play with the great grandkids

it is just fine to make your sides wider than your top/bottom- it is fine to make top & bottom larger than sides---we often make different sized borders to make our quilts the size we want them to be- whether it is making them longer or wider- it is ok...make your quilt the size you want it to be.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

cae
    Whatever works for you....is fine! Think there is no "right" or "wrong" when one does a quilt, as long as it is pleasing to the "eye" of the quilter!

I have a quilt that has a narrow border on all four sides and then the wide floral border on just three sides. I like the way it looks and it made it just the right size.

I have used different widths of borders on top and sides. No problem.

I usually make three borders, all different widths.The quilt I'm working on had to have more borders on the side to make it wider it is now, unquilted and is 97" x 108" for use on our double bed I will have to fold it under and put pillows on top, I'm going to make pillow covers, I don't like the looks of the quilt sides when put over the pillows.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    Do you have any hexagons left? You could spill them over into the border which will make it wider
    The biggest risk is the one not taken