Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need opinion on quilting design

Need opinion on quilting design

I finally got up the nerve to load my big (king size) quilt onto my new long arm frame. I've had the long arm for about 3 months and have been practicing - done a bunch of baby quilts, a twin and a lap quilt plus a bunch of practice runs. I made this quilt, which essentially is composed of 255 5.5" squares. After considering my quilting options, I decided that I really wanted to quilt with dark thread on the dark sections, and light thread on the light sections - my quilting isn't that good, so I didn't want the strong contrast if I used a single colour and a pantograph. I decided to do interlocked circles (I know there's a name for this, but it escapes me).

Originally I had planned to do 4 of them in each block, but when I loaded the quilt, my brain got confused and the 4 seemed too small, so I started doing one large motif in each block. The stitching doesn't show up (at least that went as planned So I drew my pattern onto a piece of the quilt so you can see what I am doing. I'm a bit concerned now that the motif is too big and I should have stuck with the smaller ones. As I said, the blocks are 5.5", and there are 15 across and 15 down on the quilt. What do you think? Is this going to look OK in the end? I don't like really heavy quilting, so I hope it will be ok - but I'm having second thoughts every time I go down to work on it and I'm wondering if I should start over (I'm about 1/4 done now) or just keep plugging away.

Name:  PA230388.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  248.9 KB

This is the back of one block.
    Name:  PA230390.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  101.0 KB

This was my original plan (but neater than this drawing).
    Name:  PA230388_2.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  253.1 KB

I like both of your motifs and either one would look great. Just depends on your personal preference. You said you didn't like heavy quilting, and I don't think I would call either of your motifs "heavy". I guess if I had to choose, I maybe like the interlocking circles better. I love the quilt.
    -Chris-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Blessed are the children of quilters, for they shall inherit the quilts....

It does not do well, Harry, to dwell on the dreams....and forget to live. - Albus Dumbledore

What does your batting suggest for distance between quilting lines. As long as your quilting is a little denser than that you should be fine. Sometimes less is more, especially if it suits your tastes.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

Since you are asking, I like the larger motifs better, but I would have liked overlapping rectangles instead of leaf shapes since your beautiful quilt is rectilinear in design.

Blog Entries
    I like the larger motif. Nice job on the quilt. Post once it's done.
    The Future is Now!

Thanks all. The batting is Quilter's Dream Request - which is 8" between stitching so I'm fine there with either motif.

Like you, I prefer "less is better". Just don't like heavy quilting either.
    Hope you have fun finishing your quilt.

Blog Entries
    I like the larger motif, and that is a neat quilt.

Larger one looks good to me. As long as your batting is fine with it so am I. I also like a soft drape and don't like heavy quilting. YOU GO GIRL

Banned
    I think I like the larger one best too. Very pretty quilt.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast