Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Need opinions on vintage commission

Need opinions on vintage commission

I am finishing a vintage quilt, Dresden plate, made by a friends grandmother. It is all complete except for binding. Hand quilted. I have been auditioning different fabrics for the binding and nothing seems right, they all distract from the vintage ness (is that a word)' it is on muslin background with muslin backing. There is enought extra backing where I can bring it to the front and bind that way. I like that look and is the way I am leaning. What do you think of this idea, or am I thinking it wrong. My friend is going to gift it to her father on his birthday, the quilt was made by his mother. I want it to be mainly her work and fabrics which they have no extra of for me to use. Thanks for any thoughts.
    Jeanann

PROQUILTINATING : Working on quilting when you should be cleaning, doing laundry, or cooking.

dd
    I think you should do it that way. Since the fabric is already there, it has to go with it, right? I have a turn of the century quilt from an unknown family member and it was done that way. They only turned over about 1/8" so it's barely noticeable. You know he will love it.
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

I agree with just turning over the backing for the binding.

Power Poster
    Certainly you can bring the back over to the front to bind it. That is the way a lot of antique quilts were finished. Another trick for working on antique quilts is to use the wrong side of a fabric (as the right side) for a more muted colour.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have seen dozens of antique quilts done that way. In my mind, that makes it OK.

Thank you all, I believe that turning the binding to the front is what I am going to do.
    Jeanann

PROQUILTINATING : Working on quilting when you should be cleaning, doing laundry, or cooking.

Blog Entries
    That is a wonderful and traditional way of doing it. it will be true to the vintageness! You ust post pics' for us to enjoy!
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

I also would turn it. Please post pic when finished. I would love to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by ontheriver View Post
    I am finishing a vintage quilt, Dresden plate, made by a friends grandmother. It is all complete except for binding. Hand quilted. I have been auditioning different fabrics for the binding and nothing seems right, they all distract from the vintage ness (is that a word)' it is on muslin background with muslin backing. There is enought extra backing where I can bring it to the front and bind that way. I like that look and is the way I am leaning. What do you think of this idea, or am I thinking it wrong. My friend is going to gift it to her father on his birthday, the quilt was made by his mother. I want it to be mainly her work and fabrics which they have no extra of for me to use. Thanks for any thoughts.
    Pulling the backing around seems like the ideal solution--------------the quilt will be completed with nothing new being added.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E