Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Need this Pattern! Can you tell me the name?

Blog Entries
    I would OVERLAP too.
    The are very pretty quilts.
    Wish you luck.
    J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

Quote Originally Posted by QM View Post
    I think this original was raw edge applique. It is probably best to cut the petals from fabrics fused to iron on stabilizer. If you want to get compulsive, make the petals 1/4" larger and turn under the edges. I wouldn't, since you want to duplicate a wonderful existing quilt. Another nice variation is to make each petal as its own little sandwich, sewing right sides together with fairly sturdy stabilizer, clip the seams, turn the petal right side out pin it in place under the circle and sew it down. That would make a 3D flower. Not what you want tight now, but you might enjoy doing it on another quilt.

Looks to me to be turned under edges. Look a the lavender petal on the bottom. You can see the fold.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by joan3111 View Post
    Lisa - a big THANK YOU for the Ctrl + - I had no idea you could increase the size of computer images! It will sure make life a lot simpler than trying to increase applique patterns by hand and/or running to Staples!

took me a good while to learn that trick, too. Comes in handy!
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

it is definitely a Dahlia pattern, though she probably drafted her own petals. There are ample patterns in the traditional quilting books. i believe there is one in Ruby McKim's patterns for sure.

This is beautiful! Definitely overlapped; look at the bottom petal of the first photo. You can see the line of the right side, under the petal to the right of it. I'd also love to make one of those!
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

I designed the block in EQ7 here it is for you. I can do any size you need. This is a 9 inch block. I have the pdf for a 9 inch size. PM me so I can do the size you need! Luann
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Live Love and Laugh Enough!

I have (years ago) made quilts like it. I would cut out each full petal pin and hand applique the flower, animal, etc. onto a white square sew the blocks together, and finish it up. I started quilting in 1965-66. Had to use scissors to cut everything. I made one Daughter a quilt like that, it was called a Dahlia quilt, I bet that is it.
    Last edited by Jingle; 09-12-2012 at 11:54 AM.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
    You can also hit Ctrl + on your computer until one petal is the size you think it should be on your screen. Put a piece of paper on your screen and trace with a felt tip marker. This pattern really doesn't have to be exact so you can do it easily.

I'd cut all my petals pretty much the same and just overlap them until I have the flower looking like I want it to look.

There are several methods you can use to turn under the edge. Do whatever is comfortable for you. I'm sure the gift will be loved.
    I have done this, too...
    In the garden of life everyone has a row to hoe, some people just have more weeds...

Always do right, it will gratify some and astonish the rest...Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by crafterrn1 View Post
    I designed the block in EQ7 here it is for you. I can do any size you need. This is a 9 inch block. I have the pdf for a 9 inch size. PM me so I can do the size you need! Luann
    How nice of you!! I love this board...
    K
    In the garden of life everyone has a row to hoe, some people just have more weeds...

Always do right, it will gratify some and astonish the rest...Mark Twain

You could use a dresden plate template for your petals...
    Kitty

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast