Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Need a pattern idea for strips/rows of dinosaurs

My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chairjogger
    Aw, that's a really cute quilt and a great idea, too! :thumbup: Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful idea. :D

Power Poster
    I really like QuiltnNan's pattern.

Power Poster
    double post.

I think QuiltnNan's idea is fabulous and will work really well with that fabric. Make sure you post photos when you're done!

I would do a snowball block alternating with a 9 patch block using the colors in the dinasour print.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiltgranny
    Hi Everyone,

I have a 7 yo grandson who just loves all things dinosaurs. So, I'm on task to find a pattern that will easily incorporate the below strips of dinosaurs.

This fabric seems to lend itself to being cut into rows/strips better than anything else from what I can tell. I'm a bit stumped as to what free pattern would best compliment these strips that is easy and quick.

I'd sure appreciate any ideas or feedback that you all might have for me.

Thanks so much,
    I think I'd fill in the rows with strips of primary colors since they are used in the print.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty quilter
    How about a "Triple Rail Fence"? You can choose two coordinating solids and whip it up pretty fast.
    What size strips would you suggest I use? I currently have the above strips cut into 4.5" widths so I don't lose too much of any dinosaur.

Thanks,
    if you cut the other patches 3" for 2 1/2 finished, your quilt might look like this. the blocks are 10" each and the quilt would be approx 40ish by 50ish
    Oh bless your heart!! That's awesome! :thumbup: While I like the D9P that others have suggested, I really didn't want to cut the strips up too small as that would chop up the dinosaur names.

I love your visual, Nan. This is a winner! :thumbup: I knew I could count on our wonderful board members! :D The size is perfect, too!!

Thanks so much,
    so glad i could help .. i couldn't live without my eq5

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty quilter
    How about a "Triple Rail Fence"? You can choose two coordinating solids and whip it up pretty fast.
    What size strips would you suggest I use? I currently have the above strips cut into 4.5" widths so I don't lose too much of any dinosaur.

Thanks,
    if you cut the other patches 3" for 2 1/2 finished, your quilt might look like this. the blocks are 10" each and the quilt would be approx 40ish by 50ish
    Hi Nan,

I went to the dentist this afternoon, and afterward cut out two 3" strips to go with my 4.5" dino strip. After sewing each 3" strip to one side of the dino strip with a 1/4" seam allowance, my finished block is only 9.5" wide. Maybe I shouldn't have done this while on novocaine? :shock: :roll: :lol:

Did I goof, or is it possible that the other two strips need to be cut 3.5" in order for my block to finish at 10"?

Thanks so much,

Blog Entries
    you know, that's my fault and i'm sorry. i was thinking 4.5 finished, but the strip is 4.5 and finishes to 4.0. then the 3" strips finish to 2.5 each. so your finished block is only 9". and your block before connecting them together is 9.5. you will still be alright on your quilt by the borders you put on it. if you make 4 blocks x 5 blocks, that makes 36x45. depending on what borders you put on, that will still make your quilt big enough for your 7yo. :oops:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast