Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Need a pattern idea for strips/rows of dinosaurs

Hi Everyone,

I have a 7 yo grandson who just loves all things dinosaurs. So, I'm on task to find a pattern that will easily incorporate the below strips of dinosaurs.

This fabric seems to lend itself to being cut into rows/strips better than anything else from what I can tell. I'm a bit stumped as to what free pattern would best compliment these strips that is easy and quick.

I'd sure appreciate any ideas or feedback that you all might have for me.

Thanks so much,

What pattern would work well with these strips of dinosaurs?
    Name:  Attachment-222162.jpe
Views: 61
Size:  81.5 KB

Blog Entries
    How about a "Triple Rail Fence"? You can choose two coordinating solids and whip it up pretty fast.

Quote Originally Posted by rusty quilter
    How about a "Triple Rail Fence"? You can choose two coordinating solids and whip it up pretty fast.
    What size strips would you suggest I use? I currently have the above strips cut into 4.5" widths so I don't lose too much of any dinosaur.

Thanks,

Where the deer & antilope play and the eagles soar
    Do a D9P and use these for the corners. The size you have now would work perfect. Just ad 2 solids or blenders in 2 of the colors in this fabric. Here's one someone posted on here. Your fabric would be the one that is the big squares with the dots on them. I love this pattern, it's so simple to do and looks so complicated when it's done. Good Luck..crafty_linda_b

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-83810-1.htm

Here's a link to a video if you are like me and would rather "see" it done than read directions..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEjZOXxPazg

I'm with crafty linda's idea.

Blog Entries
    How about different stripped coordinating materials?

MTS
    Banned
    He's 7. I doubt he cares about a pattern. He wants dinosaurs.

I think the fabric is very cool but the dinos on your fabric are really small, and work great as background, or filler strips just like you have them set out on the table.

I haven't been around a 7 year old boy in, like, forever, so I don't know if these are too babyish for him:
    http://www.bugfabric.com/dinosaurs.htm

You could get a bunch of FQ's with larger dinos, and cut those up for the alternating strips. More color/less white to coordinate with your strips. Make 8" (or whatever) squares with colorful dividers.

Scale is very important.

That would be a very easy solution and give him a ton of dinos.

Another option, a bit more work, would be to make the alternating rows FULL of larger dinos - applique or paper pieced, and make THEM the focus of the quilt. You could use brights that coordinate with the colors in your strips. This is the route I'd go.

You could buy an existing pattern, or use any of these for the shapes:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=dinos...ls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&biw=1280&bih=670&prmd=ivns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=IZcVTu2BAcnpgQe_laQw&sqi=2&ved=0CBgQsAQ

I agree that these dinos look a bit small. I think I'd do the D9P idea, or find different dino fabric and use this for a pieced backing. Google 'one bizillion BC'. Cute dino panel in primary colours.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiltgranny
    What size strips would you suggest I use? I currently have the above strips cut into 4.5" widths so I don't lose too much of any dinosaur.

Thanks,
    if you cut the other patches 3" for 2 1/2 finished, your quilt might look like this. the blocks are 10" each and the quilt would be approx 40ish by 50ish
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiltgranny

Thanks,
    if you cut the other patches 3" for 2 1/2 finished, your quilt might look like this. the blocks are 10" each and the quilt would be approx 40ish by 50ish
    Oh bless your heart!! That's awesome! :thumbup: While I like the D9P that others have suggested, I really didn't want to cut the strips up too small as that would chop up the dinosaur names.

I love your visual, Nan. This is a winner! :thumbup: I knew I could count on our wonderful board members! :D The size is perfect, too!!

Thanks so much,

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast