Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need a Pattern - Pieced "Baptist Fan" Quilt >

Need a Pattern - Pieced "Baptist Fan" Quilt

Need a Pattern - Pieced "Baptist Fan" Quilt

Old 12-22-2016, 09:31 AM

Default Need a Pattern - Pieced "Baptist Fan" Quilt

I saw a commercial with this beautiful quilt being taken out of the dryer. It is an off-white/white background inlaid with pieced 1/4 circles in various pastel fabric that remind me of a Baptist fan. I really want to make one for my grandmother. It seems like it would be fairly simple, but if I can find a pattern somewhere, that would really help!

I don't usually do much piecing (I'm an applique gal), so forgive me if I'm using the wrong name for the pattern. Here is a rough sketch of what one row looks like:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]564192[/ATTACH]

Edit: I think it might be called "Grandmother's Fan". Possibly.
Attached Thumbnails grandmaquilt.png  

Last edited by Bree123; 12-22-2016 at 09:37 AM.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:26 AM
Power Poster

If you google ''grandmother's fan quilt pattern', you will get lots of hits. There are lots of variations. Here's one:
http://www.quilterscache.com/G/Grand...sFanBlock.html
Old 12-22-2016, 11:12 AM
Banned

Grandmothers fan is 1/4 a dresden plate, appliqued to the corners of the square instead of in the center.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:21 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by popover View Post
Grandmothers fan is 1/4 a dresden plate, appliqued to the corners of the square instead of in the center.
It can also be pieced entirely but I do know Bree much prefers applique to piecing. She will have to piece the fan units together but can then applique the 1/4 circle to a prepared square.
Old 12-22-2016, 02:30 PM

Oooohhhh. I was wondering if it would still work if I appliqued it. So happy that's a possibility. Will definitely get a better result with that as my piecing skills leave much to be desired. Thank you all for your info!

Does anyone know if it would work if I cut the "blades" of the fan out of jelly roll strips, or do they need to be cut on the bias? The one pattern I looked at showed the grain line running at an angle to the blade pattern piece.
Old 12-23-2016, 05:29 AM

I saw that commercial too....it was a "quick" shot, but it was a grandmothers fan.

Bree...if you make the wedge out of 2 1/2" strips they will be very narrow. They are a tapered wedge and widest part is top.....its been awhile since I did one, but I think mine were wider than 2 1/2". There is an inexpensive template available...used to be at JAF....a good one to have...
do you hand applique or machine?
Old 12-23-2016, 07:30 AM

Ok, thanks, Geri. I saw it was tapered, but I guess I didn't realize how much. Guess I'll just *have* to go shopping for more fabric (yippie!).

I plan to needle turn it (hand applique). It's my favorite thing to do.
Old 12-23-2016, 09:34 AM

Yes, you can make it out of a jelly roll. Just put a sample together of what you have on hand and see if you like it. It is a very popular block. Lots of various ways to place them to make circle of a butterfly shape too. Have fun!
Old 12-23-2016, 10:50 AM

Thanks, MP. I was trying to do the math for a 12" block & it seems that 5 strips together could be cut to work. I'll do a practice piece with muslin first. I want to keep it very plain as my great grandmother used to make lovely, simple country quilts that Grandma just loved. I'm making it with pastel solids & 1930's repro's as that always seems to bring back fond memories for my grandmother of when she was growing up on the farm. It's going to be her "housewarming gift" for when she moves to assisted living this Spring.

I plan to do simple quilting with hearts & feathered fans ... and of course will both quilt Grandma's name on it & put a label on the back with her name, too.
Old 12-23-2016, 11:18 AM
Power Poster

My SIL has a quilt from her mother and it's a Dresden. She said there was no label but actually we found it worked into one of the blades. Even though it's assisted living it seems housekeeping likes to throw them into the laundry and never find their way back home. After one incident of an almost disappearing quilt, my neighbor told house keeping she would be doing her mother's laundry and cleaning her room. Her son made a sign on the door and another for her suite that says something like. "AFTER ALL THESE YEARS OF MOM CLEANING UP AFTER HER LOVING FAMILY, HER FAMILY WILL RETURN THE LOVE" She had visitors often and the nurses remarked how her suite was the cleanest place within 5 miles. They also set up nanny cams.