Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need a pattern that 'reminds you' of an accountant!! >

Need a pattern that 'reminds you' of an accountant!!

Need a pattern that 'reminds you' of an accountant!!

Old 09-29-2014, 04:40 PM

How about the abacus quilt pattern.
Just google images, its kind of a neat pattern.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:14 PM

Is he just starting his college career? If so, I would not focus on accounting. A very large percentage of freshman change their major at least once.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:26 PM

The major change is a really good point. However, the fact that accounting is his first choice is telling.

Knowing that I would say that he has an appreciation for numbers, organization, mathematics, and money. Thinking about the chances that he may find another passion in his college years I'd advise against being too literal, but its still a great inspiration point to hone in on his style.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:25 PM

Accounting is all about debits and credits, and the fact that the two are always equal (at least they are if you do it correctly!). With that in mind, I would look for a two-color quilt with equal amounts of the two colors. The most obvious that I can think of is Robbing Peter to Pay Paul, but that has lots of curves, which I personally would not attempt. There is also Hunter's Star, or a four piece Rail Fence. Positive/negative versions of most any block will get you the same result. Another advantage to this approach is that if he changes majors it doesn't scream Accountant. BTW, I am also an Accountant. ;-)

Darren

P.S. I just went and did a search. Kaleidoscope, Winding Ways, Jacob's Ladder, and Jewel Box would also work.

Last edited by wesing; 09-29-2014 at 07:34 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:18 PM

Maybe a bow-tie block? Really, though, piecing involves a lot of math. I would think anything detailed would be pretty appealing to a math person.

Depending on his sense of humor, maybe you could do a Money Tree. Couldn't find a great pic, but here's a rough idea. Just make the circle shaped leaves silver/gold/copper instead of green. You could even applique/embroider monetary amounts on them. http://www.crystalpalaceyarns.com/eq...-pfpcolor2.gif Maybe print one or two with his photo & the saying "In XXXXXXX we trust" like his own minted coin. Or if you want to be really geeky, put Gene Dodaro's name/photo (head of US-GAO) or a pic of the CEO of the accounting firm where your grandson hopes to work someday.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:50 PM

What about one of the scan code quilts that can be read with a cell phone app? Also a maze quilt could be interesting

As a finance professional myself, I am partial to geometrics and balance. Architectures has a line of fabrics that have balance sheets & columns with numbers.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:52 AM

What about the circuit pattern? Reminds me of plus signs. This site is for the kit but you might be able to find a pattern on line or even figure it out without a pattern.
http://www.fatquartershop.com/circuit-quilt-kit

Edit: I meant to say equal signs, not plus signs.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Chester the bunny View Post
How about the abacus quilt pattern.
Just google images, its kind of a neat pattern.
That was going to be my suggestion, too.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:15 AM

The easiest way to go might be to simply design your own quilt. A spreadsheet is an instant quilt, just fill in the 'cells'. You could even add and subtract colors in any manner/pattern you choose...for example, red + blue = purple.

If broadening your options, you could also consider any of the math quilts.

http://www.mathematicalquilts.com/

Whatever you decide on, don't forget to use Bottom Line thread!

Last edited by ghostrider; 09-30-2014 at 08:22 AM.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:13 AM

This fabric is exactly what I used to use when I took accounting in college. You might not want a whole quilt out of it but I'm sure it would be useful.
http://www.penningtonquilts.com/cgi-...&pid=1#14-3056

I found it using this site: http://www.quiltshops.com/
I use that site a lot to find fabrics on sale. Once you know what you are looking for you can often find quite a difference in pricing and shipping charges.

Good luck!!