Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need A Quilt Design Idea >

Need A Quilt Design Idea

Need A Quilt Design Idea

Old 07-03-2011, 01:45 PM

My niece just told me she wants me to make a quilt for her daughter who will graduate in June 2012. It must included all these colors: silver, black, orange, red, and blue. I am lost as to what design to use. I need a design for a full-size bed. My great niece will be going to Michigan State University, where she will study to become a Veterinarian.

I do not think I will have a problem finding the fabric except for the silver fabric. I have never seen any silver fabric.

Thank you and take care,
Mary (stitchengramie)
Old 07-03-2011, 01:50 PM

What first came to mind was a warm wishes with three of the colours for the stripes and the other two...say black and silver for borders. The centre blocks could be of different animals...just a thought. :)
Old 07-03-2011, 02:13 PM

[quote=stitchengramie]My niece just told me she wants me to make a quilt for her daughter who will graduate in June 2012. It must included all these colors: silver, black, orange, red, and blue. I am lost as to what design to use. I need a design for a full-size bed. My great niece will be going to Michigan State University, where she will study to become a Veterinarian.
-------------
Take her to a fabric shop and let her pick out the fabrics and threads and whatever else she wants in the quilt. Just tell her how much fabric is needed...and while she pays for it you can be asking other shoppers where can you find silver fabrics.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:21 PM
Power Poster

You can sometimes get a silver in the metallic type cottons. I have one with a white background, another with a black background. I know I've seen some that are more heavily "silvered" that the two I have.

It's a nice change from all the metallics that are usually gold.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:33 PM

I actually have a piece of black with silver stars. The stars are about 3/4 of an inch big. Keep your eyes open around Christmas time. Lots of fabric with gold and silver designs then. The orange is sort of an odd colour combination with the others tho. Are these colours what your great niece wants or what her MOM wants? Your post said 'must include' and to me that means that you are not limited to just those colours.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:36 PM

Take a look at any of the Hoffman 'pearlescent' fabrics. It's the silver version of gold metallics. Strange color choices for a future Spartan, but at least it's not maize and blue. ;) (my daughter was pre-vet at MSU until she switched to Animal Science - best of luck to your niece, vet school is harder to get into than med school!)
Old 07-03-2011, 04:20 PM
Power Poster

Silver should be showing up more now, Christmas fabrics are starting to make their debut :D:D:D
Old 07-03-2011, 04:37 PM

I have no affiliation but reading the posts I immediately thought of the Fairy Frost fabric by Michael Miller. Did not do a price search just whatever came up first when I googled. If you have not seen this fabric to your LQS and ask. It will sure give you that sparkle, in any color. Naturally I was thinking of the silver, that’s why it is linked below. Good luck.

https://www.fabricdepot.com/index.php?page=ProductPage&pageid=19224]https://www.fabricdepot.com/index.ph...e&pageid=19224[/url]
Old 07-03-2011, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by BeeNana
I have no affiliation but reading the posts I immediately thought of the Fairy Frost fabric by Michael Miller. Did not do a price search just whatever came up first when I googled. If you have not seen this fabric to your LQS and ask. It will sure give you that sparkle, in any color. Naturally I was thinking of the silver, that’s why it is linked below. Good luck.

https://www.fabricdepot.com/index.php?page=ProductPage&pageid=19224]https://www.fabricdepot.com/index.ph...e&pageid=19224[/url]
Me too!