Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need quilting ideas for modern quilt >

Need quilting ideas for modern quilt

Need quilting ideas for modern quilt

Old 03-23-2017, 07:22 PM

Default Need quilting ideas for modern quilt

I just finished this quilt top - made from some leftover bits from a quilt I made years ago. I want to custom quilt it, but I think it needs to be modern. I need some suggestions - preferably modern quilting designs that don't require ruler work. Ideas?

Edit: Rats, the picture is sideways. Well, hopefully you can tell what I was aiming for anyway.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]570289[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails p3230993.jpg  
Old 03-23-2017, 07:32 PM

I am no help at all for your question but wanted to say your quilt is very neat, I like it. Be interested to see what you end up doing w/it for the quilting.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:50 PM

Pinterest is a great place to find inspiration. If you are wanting to custom quilt it, you'll want to do some stitch in the ditch to distinguish your large star which could be done on your DSM with a walking foot, without a ruler. Some connecting curves in your diamond shapes. Maybe straight line quilting in the solid grey star points. Or you could just do an all over straight line with your walking foot or even just in your background. Depends what your skill level is at and what you like. Lots of options! It's a cool quilt, would love to see what you end up doing!
Old 03-24-2017, 04:00 AM

What a wonderful quilt!! I would continue the star theme and echo quilt/outline the star all the way to the edges. Can't wait too see what you do!
Old 03-24-2017, 04:05 AM
Power Poster

Neat quilt. I agree with kwiltr about searching pinterest for inspiration. You may also want to check out the work of quilters who tend to gravitate toward modern like Angela Walters, Krista Withers or Karlee Porter. google them and you will be able to find examples of their work.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:27 AM
Power Poster

Lovely top! Most modern quilts seem to have straight lines at different angles. I might use my walking foot and SITD the star first, then I would fill in the grey areas around the star with 1/2 quilting lines at different angles towards the star in the center part. I would then change the direction of the 1/2 inch lines in the border.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:29 AM

Very cool quilt! Echoing the star would make a big impact. For more impact, but still pretty easy without rulers would be to do your echoes so that some were closer together and some further apart, you could then add some fills such as string of pearls in the channels that are further apart. My only concern with echoing the star completely to the edges is that you would need to make sure you did something inside the star so your quilting is equally dense in that area, otherwise you could get a wavy quilt. You could ditch quilt all the pieced parts of the star that are done with patterned/colored fabrics and then do some interior echoes inside the gray solid star, that would help to make the quilting equally dense throughout the quilt.

Another possibility would be to use your walking foot and do some diagonal lines from one corner to the next skipping the solid star and the patterned part. Then you could go back and ditch the patterned part and echo inside the solid part. It would end up looking like your diagonal lines go under the two stars. To get this effect looking right you would need to mark start and stop points on either side of the star(s) so they line up. You could do this with gentle curves for w wavy effect also.

Lots of great possibilities here.

Rob
Old 03-24-2017, 07:07 AM

Thanks for all the great suggestions so far. I guess I should have been clear - I quilt on a longarm, so walking foot designs turn into ruler work for me. I can do it, was just hoping to come up with something a bit easier/faster for this quilt. I want to submit it to a show, and the deadline is next Sunday.
I'm thinking about freehanding clamshells in the background, concentric diamonds inside the light grey star points to echo those points inwards, and in-the-ditch in the other points, with maybe some highlight in the teal diamonds. That's kind of my go-to default though, so something different would be great.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:16 AM
Power Poster

Krista, I assumed you were frame quilting

Keep in mind that many longarm quilters who do the "modern" aesthetic don't use rulers with their straight line quilting. They just free hand the lines. Modern is usually dense, dense, dense. So any wobbles or irregularities are hidden in the denseness of the quilting. Angela Walters "tiling" technique where she breaks all the negative space into small compartments and then does freeform, free hand fills in each "tile" may work quite nicely on this piece. Rather than making your "tiles" squares or rectangles you could incorporate diamonds.

I also think Kaylee Porters "graffiti" style quilting would be a very cool and different way to step outside your comfort box with this quilt.
https://www.karleeporter.com/2015/08...-crash-course/
Old 03-24-2017, 11:12 AM

Lately I've seen where areas are sectioned off, then different designs in each section. But I like the idea of lines too. Just make them slightly wavy if you don't want to use a ruler. It's a neat modern quilt top.