Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need quilting suggestions for a special quilt, please! >

Need quilting suggestions for a special quilt, please!

Need quilting suggestions for a special quilt, please!

Old 04-02-2014, 06:41 PM

Smile Need quilting suggestions for a special quilt, please!

Hello,
I don't post a lot to this board, but I sure know where to come for great answers to quilting questions! I have one today and I know you all can help me! This is a lap quilt that I have ready to quilt for my granddaughter. My free motion skills are nil at this point (learning, just don't have it quite down yet for this project), but would love some suggestions as to how to quilt this on the machine. The pinwheels are 3-D, so I will need to just go around them somehow. Would love to do something cute/fun in the borders, but honestly, this is my first attempt at anything other than stitching in the ditch, so I guess pretty simple might be a good place to start.

Thanks so much in advance for the great suggestions I know are coming! All the best to you!

sceniccityred
Attached Thumbnails sks-quilt.jpg  
Old 04-02-2014, 06:45 PM
Power Poster

I don't know how old your granddaughter is, but perhaps you could quilt her name, names of her friends, other words that will mean something to her in the sashing and borders. Fill in with loops, stars, hearts elsewhere? Cute quilt!
Old 04-02-2014, 07:12 PM
Power Poster

how about strings with bos, like the tails of a kite.
loops or circle with the pinwheels. good luck.
I can't fmq on a dhm to save my life.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:35 PM
Power Poster

I would stitch around each pinwheel and then stitch just outside the folded edge (from the center to the top of the triangle of the pinwheel) it would still let them be 3D but they would stay nice after washing. I would do a small pattern behind the pinwheels if you are able to stipple. If not I would SITD the sashing and cornerstones.
It is going to be cute whatever you decide.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:19 AM

I am too new to offer advice but i must say that is darling. My daughters would love it.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:19 AM

Thank you all so much for the great ideas! I knew you all would be of great help....so, I am off to finish this quilt! Thank you again! Hope to be on here again soon....
Old 04-03-2014, 03:28 AM

Thank you, Carrie in PA...I have enjoyed putting it together for her. She is 4 1/2 and ADORES pink, so I tried to put as much pink on there as I could. The pinwheels were so much fun to make. I am really a beginner, too, but this one was simple and so much fun. I found the tutorial here and you could make them any size you want! http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...ls-t57715.html
Old 04-03-2014, 07:44 AM
Power Poster

Very pretty, girly quilt. She will love it, no matter how you quilt it.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:57 AM

I made a wallhanging and in the border I had drawn a "frame" with one of my curved Creative Grids ruler and then stitched again about 1/4" away from first stitching. I used my walking foot and it reminds me of a picture frame.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:03 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I would stitch around each pinwheel and then stitch just outside the folded edge (from the center to the top of the triangle of the pinwheel) it would still let them be 3D but they would stay nice after washing. I would do a small pattern behind the pinwheels if you are able to stipple. If not I would SITD the sashing and cornerstones.
It is going to be cute whatever you decide.
I agree. Just SITD around the the pinwheels (careful to stitch outside the folded edge) and stitch the sashing and cornerstones. You might want to stitch down the center of each border after SITD. She is going to absolutely adore this quilt because you made it with lots of love !!