Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need quilting tips

I have read so many topics on this board and have enjoyed them. But I can't decide which one is best. I signed up for "tips on quilting" for our next local get-together. Would some of you please send me your "favorite tip". I really would appreciate it. This board is the greatest thing and I read it daily. Thanking you for your "tips".

never start a new project if you have one already started.

when cutting half-square triangles, cut them 1/8" larger and square them up once you have sewn them together.

read a pattern completely before you even buy the fabric, I have found that with some patterns they have you buying and cutting way too much fabric. Example; cut 2- 12 7/8" wof strips, 2 -12 1/2" strips and 1- 6 1/2" strip
    for 4-12 7/8" squares and 4 12 1/2" squares and 4 6 1/2" squares. I found that if I cut the 12 7/8" strip as 13" I could get the 4 6 1/2" squares cut out of the left over 13" strip and 1 12 1/2" sqare from that same 13" strip. totally eliminating 1 of the 2 12 1/2" strip and the 6 1/2 strip, saving 19 inches of fabric.

Put a dab of super glue on your under finger when hand quilting (make sure it's dry before starting to quilt). I just got this tip a few days ago and it has worked like nothing else I've tried before.

If you get really sick of working on something, don't put it away, just do a few minutes a day. At some point you'll get excited about it again.

No need to be a neatnick, start something new anytime but add them to a list and mark off the ones you finish.

It's only fabric, nobody dies. Don't obsess, just sew. If it's really bad you're allowed to throw it away and start over.

bj
    Have a certain place where things "live", cuts down on time wasted searching for things. Try to organize and neaten up as you go, not after it becomes the elephant in the room.

Don't be afraid to try new things. If you mess up, so what, nobody needs to know but you.

Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by mimom
    This one would never work for me. Sometimes when I hit a dead end I need to put a project aside to think it over. Then I come back to it when my mind is fresh or I see a new idea how to finish it.

My best hint is to enjoy the process, make your quilts your way and don't be bothered about those who suggest you might be breaking the "rules."

quiltsRfun said: My best hint is to enjoy the process, make your quilts your way and don't be bothered about those who suggest you might be breaking the "rules."

I like this! I realized a few months ago that I won't live to quilt everything I want to do. So, I'm doing what I want to do and having fun doing it. I don't join block swaps any more; I'm not a perfect sewer but can accept what I sew and don't need the quilt police" to critique me.

Blog Entries
    There are NO quilt police - unless you are entering a juried show - so don't stress over those problem areas that seem so huge! Nobody but you would probably notice them. This is supposed to be something you enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
    Quote Originally Posted by mimom
    This one would never work for me. Sometimes when I hit a dead end I need to put a project aside to think it over. Then I come back to it when my mind is fresh or I see a new idea how to finish it.

My best hint is to enjoy the process, make your quilts your way and don't be bothered about those who suggest you might be breaking the "rules."
    it was only a suggestion. I cant even follow that one myself. lol ..... I tell myself I will start another top the quilt both of them. Never works, got 3 going right now. I try though

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast