Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need recommendation for quilting machine >

Need recommendation for quilting machine

Need recommendation for quilting machine

Old 08-15-2011, 11:31 AM

I have been mulling over the thought of buying a different sewing machine. I have a nice Viking 500 that I really like, a 1995 vintage, but it sews wonderfully and is easy to use! Problem is, there isn't enough throat space room to maneuver quilts of any size. Drives me crazy! So, what would you all recommend for a good machine for quilting? Or, since I am becoming more prolific with this hobby, maybe a long-arm? Thanks in advance for your ideas.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:04 PM

Janome Horizon 7700. Bet a lot of others will say the same thing.

Good luck,
Cathy
Old 08-15-2011, 12:09 PM

You have to ask yourself if you want to dedicate a whole lot of money and a whole lot of floor space to a machine that will only do one thing. My biggest obstacle to quilting was basting and once I discovered Sharon Shamber's method I don't have that problem. I recommend either the Janome 6600 or the Janome Horizon. Both have the built in walking foot so straight line quilting is a breeze and they both have good throat space.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:11 PM

Lots of questions to be answered:
-what is your budget?
-how much space do you have? Do you want a sit down machine like the HandiQuilter Sweet Sixteen or one of the larger framed machines?
-if you want a sewing machine and be able to take it to class or is it OK to just leave it put at home? Bigger usually means heavier and not as easy to transport.
-LA - well do you want a frame that holds a larger throat sewing machine, a midarm like HandiQuilter, or a LA like the Gammill?
-if you want a midarm or LA do you want computer capability?
-do you have access to various quilting venues so that you can actually 'test drive' the different machines and compare them for what you are looking for?
-is there a quilting or LA group near you where others are seeking similar answers ... so that you can hear what they like and dislike?

To me, other than the above questions I'd add: which machine do you think you would bond with the most.

Know that there are many great used machines available as people upgrade.

If you get a new machine look for financing interest free.

Make it a fun journey and not a bother and then you'll enjoy whatever you get even more.

ali
Old 08-15-2011, 12:12 PM

Last year I researched the same question for myself. I chose the Janome Horizon 7700. It has 11 inches for the throat space. I was able to quilt a king size quilt with very little difficulty and I'm a beginner quilter. I chose the Horizon over a long arm because of the cost and the size of the longarm.
It took me about 3 months of researching to make my decision.
Good luck
Vicky
Old 08-15-2011, 12:28 PM

I have a Babylock Ellisimo. It has a 10" throat and is a great machine. The negative is that it's not what can be called a portable machine.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:33 PM

You have a lot to consider before making a decision. Of course, a long Arm would be your best option, but Do you have the space for it? Do you have the budget for it? As you become more experienced you will find that there are some things you like and others that you don't. Now a days we have more to choose from than ever before. I love quilting complicated micro designs but I don't like to move a large long arm around, so I have my eye out for some day to get myself a sit down long arm. I wish for a George. It has a long neck with plenty of space but you move the quilt rather than the machine. And it cost about half of what a big machine costs. Keep learning and soon you will figure out what works for you.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:46 PM

if you are looking for a long arm look for a used Gammill.
that is how I started and have upgraded 3 times. I just love them. I now have the upgrade to the vision supper lovely. Chedk you gammill dealers.
Good luck
Marilee
Old 08-16-2011, 02:32 AM

If you are looking for a solid quilting machine that only does straight stitch, you can look at the Baily. People that have and use them love them dearly and tend to stick by them.
They're very affordable as well. You just can't piece on it since there are no feed dogs. They come in 13", 15" and 17"
http://www.baileyssewingcenter.com/test.html

You can also use it as a sit down or on a frame. So if you start off with a sit down way of doing it and want to go to a frame you can and vise versa. There have been several ladies who have altered a table or desk to fit it in there so you have a nice smooth top for your quilt to slide around on as well ;)
Old 08-16-2011, 05:35 AM

Wow - I've been cruising the web looking at all these brands and listening to your recommendations. No one sells machines in our area, so I have to travel to even look at them. I do have room for a long arm, and the computerized gamill is my favorite (but price tag is too pricey!) Oh, well. That is why I am looking for other alternatives. Thanks for all your suggestions.