Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need recommendation for sewing machine >

Need recommendation for sewing machine

Need recommendation for sewing machine

Old 06-20-2014, 05:39 AM

Default Need recommendation for sewing machine

I am looking to buy a sewing machine that will match my special needs. I do mainly quilting, but would also like to do some embroidery as well. My two main priorities are lighting, as I have extremely poor vision, and a large work area. Personally, I would rather have an older quality model without all the bells and whistles, and features I will never use. The Bernina and H. Viking seem to have the best lighting and work area but these are the newer models. I also heard about the magnifying foot available for some Bernina models, and the dual lighting on the H.V.
Would greatly appreciate your advice. Tx
Old 06-20-2014, 06:02 AM

It depends on your price range. I bought the Sapphire 960Q, large work area, wonderful lighting but a little expensive at 2499.00. I think that was on sale at the time. I'm sure you can find a nice used machine if you talk to your dealer and tell her/him what you're looking for. I don't know anything about other machines, I only have Vikings and to date I own 4. I wouldn't part with any of them because they are so well made I've never felt the need to get rid of anything. Go play around on all the machines you're interested in and then make your decision. If you need a payment plan, Viking is having a wonderful sale on a few machines and up to 5 years interest free financing. That's how I bought mine.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:43 AM

thanks for the great advice, I will give them a test drive.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:50 AM

The Janome 12000 has even better lighting than the HV with a led light that you can pull out to flood the working area with light. I'm short sighted and this has been such a boost for me especially since the night lighting in the room isn't particularly great. It also has a lovely big working area.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:59 AM

Not sure what your budget is, but I bought the Brother DreamCreator VM5100 in large part because of the AWESOME lighting. I LOVE it. Well, I love that machine for everything it does, but the lighting is really special.

I have yet to find a machine that wasn't built in the last couple of years with great lighting.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:38 AM

thanks, I should have mentioned that my budget is about $2000.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:07 PM
Power Poster

I would first go to a local quilt show and test drive all the DSM being displayed. You don't buy a car without driving. See what the sales people can help you with whittling down the selection
Old 06-20-2014, 02:20 PM

I have a Janome 6600 $ a Janome 1100SE I love love love these 2 machines. I have several friends that have the same set I do! Test drive them then call around @ used ones. I was blessed with both mine from the sewing shop I used as being traded in for upgraded machines. These 2 are great!!
Old 06-20-2014, 03:03 PM

Viking girl, here is, as well. Just wanted to suggest tha you might consider some stick on led lights as an option if you find a machine that has all of your other needs/preferences but not the lighting you need. Should be available at a home center store for cheaper than a sewing notion shop. Just a thought.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:41 PM

My Juki 2010Q has a large work area and great lighting, but it is straight stitch only.