Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need recommendations >

Need recommendations

Need recommendations

Old 11-26-2013, 09:22 PM

Default Need recommendations

I just completed a quilt top for DD friend using fleece , denim, flannel, and some cotton twill. I Need some suggestions about batting and backing. Would it be better to add batting and a flannel back or maybe just a fleece back. Thanks in advance for suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Last edited by mammab; 11-26-2013 at 09:40 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:48 PM

Sounds like the fabrics in the top will make it pretty heavy for some folks ( like me)...while cotton batting will help reduce the feel of the seams on the back of the quilt, it will also add a lot of weight. I think the fleece would pad the bulky seam allowances and still not be too heavy - since i don't like the bulk of folded fleece binding (as I've seen some folks do) I'd probably just use a raw edge with the fleece backing cut a little larger than the top, possibly with a wave blade for some interest, then double stitch around the edge of the top, leaving the raw edges to fray as they will...again, reducing bulk of folded seam allowances, etc.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:20 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

I vote fleece as well
Old 11-27-2013, 04:48 AM

I would vote for fleece .
Old 11-27-2013, 04:53 AM

Fleece would be my vote too! It would be so soft and cuddly.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:11 AM
Power Poster

​Nice job and I vote for fleece too.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:04 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ktbb View Post
......... - since i don't like the bulk of folded fleece binding (as I've seen some folks do) ..........
KTBB ... So instead of folded fleece, a regular cotton binding could be used, along with a fleece backing.

MammaB ... I really like the look of this with the white along with the scrappy mix of fabrics. Puts some crispness and cheer along with the duller look of the others.

A poly batting would be light in weight, give the buffering effect for the seams, and have some puffy loft to the finished quilt!

There'd be little puff with fleece and likewise, little padding for the seams.

Really depends on what effect you want.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:12 AM
Power Poster

Maybe I'm am still living in the dark ages, but how do you plan to quilt this if you have fleece on the bottom and the top?? It is going to be thicker if you add batting besides being very heavy. I bought a quilt made up of wool squares at a farm sale in Kansas one year that I was heading east for NYC. It was very heavy so it was tied. Kept me warm for the few winters I was back east.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:21 AM
Power Poster

Ditto what most others said. I would go with fleece! Anxious to see it finished!
Old 11-27-2013, 08:18 AM

I think either would be fine depending on what you want to do and agree with all the suggestions so far.

How do you plan to finish it, tied or quilted? That would be part of my decision making process. I would not want to try and quilt the fleece I don't think but have never done it.

How warm and heavy do you want it to be? If going to be used in a local that has cold weather additional batting layer will also add warmth. If in a warmer climate you may not want to add the batting.