Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need to replace my iron! >

Need to replace my iron!

Need to replace my iron!

Old 12-17-2013, 12:46 PM

Default Need to replace my iron!

Well my toddler broke my iron. I usually have the cord wrapped up and tucked on my totes but it must have fallen down and she grabbed it and yanked it off my stand. Don't worry she's ok it fell straight down and she was off and running towards me.

What kind of iron would you recommend? This is a strictly quilting iron that might rarely get used to iron a shirt. Rarely!!! Lol. The one I had was a cheap one from Walmart. I think at most it was $10. Df is having a hissy fit cuz I would replace it with another cheap one and he wants me to get a good one. So I'm asking y'all what kind you think would be best.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:27 PM

Well, I'm one of the odd ones here - I like my Rowentas. I think it's really important to make sure you know what kind of water it's supposed to use (tap or distilled). I think that is one of the main reasons people have leaking issues with them. I leave water in mine all the time and don't have leaking/sputtering issues. Every once in a while I'll need to run it through the clean cycle but that's about it. First one I dropped countless times and ironed daily before it gave out after about 10 years. I'm on my second - about the same age now - and I have cord issues at the base where it has the pivot mechanism. The issue is that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't so I haven't been using it. I've been using my EuroPro that I paid even bigger $$ for at the time. Has lots of steam, heavy (I like a heavy iron) and does a great job. Did have DH replace the plug on that one as well. I unplug my irons at the end of any sewing/ironing session. I don't leave them plugged into a power strip or anything. Even though the sewing room door is closed when not in use, I have this irrational fear that the dogs might knock over the iron and it possibly turn on. Just always the way I've operated.

I also picked one up from freecycle just for kicks. I iron clothes alot so want to make sure I have at least one that works at all times.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:03 PM
Power Poster

Look into Reliable Irons. I love both of mine. I have the orange one, Velocity Compact Vapor Generator, for quilting. Great steam if you use it
and it does not drip run or spew any salt/ calcium build up. It also has an override to disable the auto shut off. I love this iron.

My other Reliable is the Digital Velocity V95. This one is a more heavy duty, again with great steam when you want it. I use this one for cloths. It has never dripped or leaked water or spewed anything unpleasant.

I got my orange one through All Brands and it cost me $60.00 as a factory second.The only thing wrong with it was a scratch in a plastic cover. A great price when the new cost is about $150.00

I love these irons and my quilting iron gets heavy duty use. Some times I have it on for 8 to ten hours a day.

Having an iron that will last for years rather than months is important to me. I really don't want to send irons to the dump every year.

Hope you find an iron you like.
peace
Old 12-17-2013, 04:06 PM

I just bought another Black and Decker Digital Advantage Model 2030 from Amazon for $44. I have had the same one since 2009 but dropped it on a hard surface (not the iron's fault) and something broke inside. I love love this iron.

Now I do not put water in it but check the Amazon reviews and see what a good rating it has. Good even heat, fast recovery, long study cord, clear digital display, etc.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:08 PM

We were in Sears the other day and I saw a T-Fal iron. I thought they only made pots and pans. Well, I bought it and have used it several times. I really like it. Good steam, doesn't turn itself off too fast and heats up quickly. I think it was about $40, or so.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:50 PM

I must also be an oddball as I love my rowenta, paid 60 bucks for it and have had it about 7 years and still going strong, thats less than $10 a year, I can say i have got my moneys worth.

Last edited by Dolphyngyrl; 12-17-2013 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:23 PM

Oreck my gf gave me hers she got it for free when she bought sweeper she said it was too much for her she likes the dryer lol me too. It can be cordless has a cradle stand just push a button and it's cordless I love it it is big but great auto shut off most important
Old 12-17-2013, 09:05 PM

I had an old Rowenta that worked fine for 10 years and then literally started smoking. I replaced with a Black and Decker but did not like the way it felt in my hand. I bought a Panasonic based on some members recommendation and I really like it. Don't know the model -- it is the green one.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:19 AM

my thing is that i DON"T want a non-stick sole plate. Use the hottest heat setting has caused the teflon to come off on to my projects. I have a Shark and love it.
Old 12-18-2013, 04:16 AM

I prefer to use a travel iron. Smaller, lighter, easier to manoeuvre, and you don't need all that weight for pressing seams. Plus have you thought of the electricity usage? A standard iron uses 2400W and my travel iron uses 750W. For comparison, people worry about using 60W light bulbs! I dread to think of the running costs of leaving a standard iron on for 8-10 hours a day.