Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need ruler with metal edge >

need ruler with metal edge

need ruler with metal edge

Old 01-15-2012, 04:13 AM

Default need ruler with metal edge

Does anyone know where I can get one of those plastic rulers with the metal piece along the cutting edge? I need a 24"x 6". I keep cutting into the edge of my ruler with my rotary cutter and it dulls my blade. Ive seen them advertised somewhere , maybe on a tv program. Ive searched my catalogs and cant find them. Thanks.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:31 AM

I've never seen such an animal. But, if you use a metal edge against the rotary blade, it will surely knick the blade! Try holding your rotary cutter like you are on a highwire and balancing. Don't let yourself teeter and you will do better.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:37 AM

How about one of those quilt rulers with the diamond edging that is supposed to sharpen your rotary blade as you cut. Surely they would be very difficult to cut into.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:47 AM

If you are running into the ruler you might have other problems. Trouble holding the rotary cutter? a little arthritus? Try the rotary cutter designed for quilters with a little weakness in the hands. It has a handle. I do not have a problem, but I tried one and they are great for anyone. It is available from Nancy's Notions I think. If you do not see it in the catalog, call them and describe it.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:50 AM
Power Poster

I do exactly the same thing. Just bought a new Olfa 5x24 about two months ago and I've already cut the edge. My problem is when I start cutting I don't have the blade against the edge of the ruler properly so now I've started cutting about 2 inches up and cut towards me to the end then cut up and away.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:44 AM

Its called the "Cutting Edge" ruler and is available at a lot of places. I got a couple of them - did not like them at all! They were not accurate and dulled my blades. Went back and forth with the company returning them and getting new ones. Finally gave up on them. Google them and read reviews. Good luck!