Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
NEED SOME ADVICE AND HELP PLEASE >

NEED SOME ADVICE AND HELP PLEASE

NEED SOME ADVICE AND HELP PLEASE

Old 01-21-2010, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by janice4
OKay so now I have 70 x 74 inches done and the king mattress size is 76 x 80 which means i need 6 inches minimum....to meet that requirement but I do want to go down about three inches on the sides and allow for machine quilting.
I have one last border fabric to do ..( with the circles) do you think I can make a 9 inch border or would that be wierd? I think it would allow it to sit well on the bed too. and not worry . I have never done a border that wide I have a picture of it placed there not sewn.. Help please.
First, you did a lovely job here. Kudos.

Second, I like the appearance of the 9" border you laid this on. Nice. And I believe it will work well.

I've been quilting a long time, but I had never heard of a "topper". I like the idea. Does this mean that the people you are making it for will not use it to sleep under? I think that is how some of us are confused. The quilting will likely take up a little bit, but if you plan for a 9" border, you should be okay on the drop. Good luck.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
I don't know exactly how you want this to sit on the bed, but a measurement I have for a King size quilt would be approx 100 x 92. I think you need to go bigger.
I have a king size bed, and you need to go bigger.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:36 AM

I use a "topper" on my king size (really I use a queen that I love)
When you make the bed you put your standeard king size blanket on and then for decoration you put a smaller bed spread on.
This works out for me and hubby ad he likes a really heavy blanket and I like a thin one, so he takes the kings size heavy one and I take the queen.

I think that the op is talking about making a quilt that is not meant to cover the king size plus drape. It is meant to go over the top and cover another blanket that is already in use on the bed.

To the op, I think that the border will look really nice and give you that extra that you are needing
Old 01-22-2010, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by AbbyQuilts
I use a "topper" on my king size (really I use a queen that I love)
When you make the bed you put your standeard king size blanket on and then for decoration you put a smaller bed spread on.
This works out for me and hubby ad he likes a really heavy blanket and I like a thin one, so he takes the kings size heavy one and I take the queen.

I think that the op is talking about making a quilt that is not meant to cover the king size plus drape. It is meant to go over the top and cover another blanket that is already in use on the bed.

To the op, I think that the border will look really nice and give you that extra that you are needing
Yes you understand ;)>> sorry my explanation was off.... there is a king size bedspread /quiltwhatever underneath this is the decoration quilt on the top and since the under one is black it shows of the quilt nicely. I have a couple for my bed...this allows me to change the decor in my rom in a heartbeat ;) It has no bearing on what you sleep under at all.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by OdessaQuilts
OKay so now I have 70 x 74 inches done and the king mattress size is 76 x 80 which means i need 6 inches minimum....to meet that requirement but I do want to go down about three inches on the sides and allow for machine quilting.
I have one last border fabric to do ..( with the circles) do you think I can make a 9 inch border or would that be wierd? I think it would allow it to sit well on the bed too. and not worry . I have never done a border that wide I have a picture of it placed there not sewn.. Help please.
First, you did a lovely job here. Kudos.

Thank you ;)>>. I will forge forward ;)>> appreciate the comments and help

Second, I like the appearance of the 9" border you laid this on. Nice. And I believe it will work well.

I've been quilting a long time, but I had never heard of a "topper". I like the idea. Does this mean that the people you are making it for will not use it to sleep under? I think that is how some of us are confused. The quilting will likely take up a little bit, but if you plan for a 9" border, you should be okay on the drop. Good luck.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Tiffany
I am making a king size bed topper for friends. and the bed size mattress is 78length x 76 width . I do not have a bed to lay it on here ;(:(>> so going blind.. I imagine it to go down a couple of inches over the edge of the bed.. and account for machine quilting as well. The drop of the bed is 14 inches.. which may or may not even matter.. How big would you go? I almost want to go to a bed store and lay this on top lOL>
This sounds terrible but are your friends thin or are they like most people and have a little extra padding? My hubby's family are all rather large people (we're talking 250-300+) so when I make lap quilts or bed quilts, I need to take into account that I will need to make the drap over the bed much larger than normal. Otherwise, when they climb under it, it draws up and they get a draft. :oops:

I'm a bit confused. You won't quilt it? Wouldn't the edges fray and come undone after it gets handled?

They will be getting under thier king size bedspread like normal no drafts...and this lays on top just over the edge of the bed as a topper decoration quilt.. showcasing the quilt. Yes it will be quilted.. I'm afraid I didn't make this very clear perhaps i will photogragh the one I have on my bed.

OKay here is a TOPPER... goes on top of what I already have , a black quilted thin bedspread to change the look of the room easily. I also have a wall hanging in the colors of the quilt that my mom made for me.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]46358[/ATTACH]

This shows the placement of the TOPPER it goes just a few inches down the side of the bed.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]64430[/ATTACH]

Here's what happens when you want a change.. put on anther TOPPER and change the room ;) I hope this makes sense now. I really thought this was a good idea when my mom and i thought of it.. In the victorian days they did this with smaller ones it can also be used so it hangs diagonally across the bed as well like a big diamond on it.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]64545[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-46358.jpe   attachment-64425.jpe   attachment-64540.jpe  
Old 01-22-2010, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by sewnsewer2
Good info here thank you... I will use this chart when making a full size bed quilt ;)
Old 01-22-2010, 08:22 AM

That is beautiful! The fabric and colors make it look very vibrant and rich.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:31 AM

Taht is a really neat idea and something I never thought of. Would be a good way to change the decor without going all out.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by cande
Taht is a really neat idea and something I never thought of. Would be a good way to change the decor without going all out.
Yeah exactly ;)>> I plan to do a christmas one this year too !!