Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need some advice - presser foot does not go down >

Need some advice - presser foot does not go down

Need some advice - presser foot does not go down

Old 05-16-2015, 06:09 AM
Power Poster

You can contact Pfaff for the location of a service technician or call you LQS and see if they have anyone they could suggest in your area.
Old 05-17-2015, 05:16 AM

Can you post a picture? You have a lot of Pfaff owners on this board, I know a picture would help. Without seeing a picture, you might start with taking the foot off and then put it back on again. I have had the foot not sit correctly, but it still stayed on (sounds dumb, but it's just one of those things). Also if the person doesn't know how to sew, where did she get this machine? Because I'm wondering if the foot is even the correct foot for this machine? You can always try another foot to see what happens (my Pfaff comes with all the different feet you could ever think of and my machine is old), because you might have a generic replacement foot and they don't always work on all machines. You might as about a repair person at the local quilt ship, sometimes the owners know of a good one and sometimes the owners are able to fix small problems because they own that brand of machine. Good luck
Old 05-17-2015, 05:20 AM

If it's a vintage Pfaff, you could check with the Vintage Machines section of this board. They are very helpful. Does it have a model number on it?
Old 05-17-2015, 05:25 AM
Power Poster

This is what I was going to say. Many times oil (not always the right kind) will harden on the inside and not allow the presser foot to lower.

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom View Post
It sounds like your presser foot lever is gummed up and not lowering the foot to the machine bed, correct? On a newer (1980's to now) Pfaff they are very tricky to get into to get to the place you need to clean and lubricate. It is not an expensive repair as I seriously doubt you will need any parts. You should try to find a Pfaff repair place to take it to. If it is gummed up it hasn't been used and could use some TLC anyway. I know cost is an issue but you can't touch a new machine with the quality of Pfaff for the cost of the repair.
Old 05-17-2015, 05:51 AM

It sounds like you have a Quilt Expression. Look at the white lever that raises and lowers the foot. When you feel the underside of it can you feel a bump? That bump slides. If it is toward the operator the foot does not go all the way down (free motion setting). If it is away from the operator the foot should go down to the feed dogs.
Old 05-17-2015, 06:03 AM

If it is like the pfaff I recently used the foot went down when I pressed the foot pedal . Took a it of getting used to.
Old 05-17-2015, 06:11 AM

Take it to a Phaff dealer....tell them you are not familiar with the built in walking foot, can they show you how to lower and engage the presser foot....but they wouldn't charge you.....or if the same feature is on a Phaff machine in their store, ask how it works.....BTW WHAT MODEL IS IT?
Old 05-17-2015, 10:26 AM

I go to Ashby Sewing in kennesaw, Ga. Mark use to sale Pffafs and still services them. There are some of the older models where parts are no longer available due the sale of the company a while ago. The small companies that made the parts closed when Pfaff moved the plant. He usually has most stored at shop or can do adjustments. It is located just across from airport in Kennesaw on Old Hwy 41. Have not had good success with the dealer in Duluth . This dealer also has an outlet in Alpharetta. Many friends have had good luck with the New machines with them but not repair work on older models. Mark at Ashby's will help you if it can be fixed. He's worked on all 3 if mine for over 15 years.
Old 10-28-2021, 11:30 PM

Default Presser foot issues

Originally Posted by sjwnana View Post
my young friend brought me her phaff??? sewing machine... I do not fix a machine ...don't know where to start..
but ..i got it threaded and the right bobbin in but the presser foot does not go down on the feeddogs to feed the fabric thu... I took it to a guy that had fixed mine in the past but for his wife's job ending and his bad back.. they moved fro GA to KS.. oopps...now what.. I live 12 miles west of Marietta Ga... and need someone that can look this over to see what is wrong... I just don't know where to take it....and she knows nothing about sewing much less the machine.. so any help would be great......I need a repair man that is not very expensive.. or a good place to take it ..I don't mind going a ways to drop it off...........let me know please if anyone can help......thank you...
Don't know your model but on one of mine, near the take up lever is a switch to release the presser foot. Good luck!
Old 10-29-2021, 03:47 AM

I'm wondering if the machine is a low shank and she has a high shank foot on it?