Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need some advice - presser foot does not go down >

Need some advice - presser foot does not go down

Need some advice - presser foot does not go down

Old 05-15-2015, 03:12 AM

Default Need some advice - presser foot does not go down

my young friend brought me her phaff??? sewing machine... I do not fix a machine ...don't know where to start..
but ..i got it threaded and the right bobbin in but the presser foot does not go down on the feeddogs to feed the fabric thu... I took it to a guy that had fixed mine in the past but for his wife's job ending and his bad back.. they moved fro GA to KS.. oopps...now what.. I live 12 miles west of Marietta Ga... and need someone that can look this over to see what is wrong... I just don't know where to take it....and she knows nothing about sewing much less the machine.. so any help would be great......I need a repair man that is not very expensive.. or a good place to take it ..I don't mind going a ways to drop it off...........let me know please if anyone can help......thank you...

Last edited by patricej; 05-15-2015 at 12:03 PM.
Old 05-15-2015, 04:01 AM

sounds like you have it set for free motion. not sure which direction to pull the lever that makes it go down further but try it to the left or right or back while lifting it.
Old 05-15-2015, 04:09 AM

I would try mzzzquilts solution. Do you have the owner's manual?
Old 05-15-2015, 02:11 PM
Power Poster

If you don't have the paper manual, look and see if you can find one on line. I would also look in the manual for the presser foot pressure setting. An electronic machine will probably have an electronic setting, but it could be a manual system.
Old 05-15-2015, 03:14 PM
Power Poster

Find the name of a nearby guild. Call the guild president and ask for the name of someone that does machine repairs. She will know someone within driving distance.
Old 05-15-2015, 03:56 PM

I eeeek! look at that lint! I have 2 Pfaff machines and love the IDT foot and the quilting with them. You note the black foot behind the sewing foot? That is the IDT. It works in conjunction with the feed dogs like a walking foot. You justpush down a tiny bit to disengage and move up and to the back. To engage you will proceed just opposite by pulling down and 'scoot' under the foot until it settles in place. NOW...for quilting, you will lift the lever that raises the foot and as you do so, push slightly to the back and it will find a notch and settle into that. See how the foot is just above the feed dogs (which I did not lower for this pix). If you pull the lever slightly to the front as you lower it, it should settle onto the feed dogs. I think it is a great feature of Pfaff. Could this be your problem? Try lifting just a bit and pulling down & to the front/ Please let us know if it works for you. Otherwise, the shaft might have old gunky oil mixed with lint and maybe a drop or 2 of oil and work the lever up and down. I repaired one locked by rust and I let WD40 spray sit on it for a while.[ATTACH=CONFIG]519778[/ATTACH] Forgive me..I usually keep my machines cleaner, but have been sewing on 4 diff ones this week. Looks like I need to spray something on this one!! My bad.
Attached Thumbnails pfaff.jpg  
Old 05-15-2015, 04:47 PM

It sounds like your presser foot lever is gummed up and not lowering the foot to the machine bed, correct? On a newer (1980's to now) Pfaff they are very tricky to get into to get to the place you need to clean and lubricate. It is not an expensive repair as I seriously doubt you will need any parts. You should try to find a Pfaff repair place to take it to. If it is gummed up it hasn't been used and could use some TLC anyway. I know cost is an issue but you can't touch a new machine with the quality of Pfaff for the cost of the repair.
Old 05-15-2015, 04:52 PM

i thank you all for this and any advice.. yes,, i got a manuel on line as she forgot to bring hers.. i did get that thing to up and down but...not sure what is going on...i will get it back out of the car as the guy moved on me..he was good and very close and reasonable but gone is gone ya know.......and i will try these things... it should not be linty it aint been used hardly at al lf any......but dust maybe,,,,,,,maybe tomorrow.... i had to leave my singer 127-3 in OK with my DD and it is killing me i have not been able to head back out to get it....it is sooo pretty.. yes... i have several machines and love them all...........i even have a black WHEELER made b/4 singer bought them out and made the featherweights.......or so i understand......it need rewired but does work... and like i said... I don't fix them..just use the fool outta them.... y'll are a super bunch thanks for putting up with this ole gal.,............blessings to all
Old 05-15-2015, 04:55 PM

that is the hight of the presser food tobed..........now at least i know nothing is really ......wrong with it......wheeee cause it is a nice machine.........and bless her heart not sure she can ever sew anything but she might prove me wrong.......for sure.............hope so anyway thanks again
Old 05-16-2015, 03:29 AM

I have a Pfaff and this sometimes happens, and needs service. The presser foot on mine goes down very slowly, and needs a little push to go all the way down. When I took it in, was told Pfaff machines do this.