Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need some advice on a quilting frame and machine >

Need some advice on a quilting frame and machine

Need some advice on a quilting frame and machine

Old 01-24-2016, 10:03 PM

Default Need some advice on a quilting frame and machine

I have the opportunity to purchase a Gracie Pinnacle Quilting Frame and Gracie Laser for a very good price. I am giving it serious consideration, because the price is so low and it is in very good condition, having only been used for a short while. However, the seller does not have a machine to sell with it.
I have an old Bernina Artista 180 and a Brother SE 400 that is about 5 years old. Neither one has a
very long neck area. Need some advice - should I buy the Gracie and what would be a reasonably priced
sewing machine to use with it.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:05 AM
Power Poster

If it is a private sale, you might save the money but you won't have any classes or support from a dealer.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:48 AM

If you can find a place that rents out longarms they usually have some lessons available. Even if you might know someone that has a machine they might help. I got mine used and got one day class It was enough to get me started and you have to learn your machine and get to know it.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:58 PM

Thank you for your responses. Do you have any suggestions on a sewing machine to use with it. I have been considering a Juki?
Old 01-28-2016, 09:27 PM

The Gracie Pinnacle works well with the Juki 2010Q. However, you will only have about 4 1/2" of workable throat space. It's very limiting.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:59 PM

Sounds like it could be a good deal. Does it come with leaders and a carriage to put a sewing machine on? If not, those will need to be purchased.

I don't know what your budget for a sewing machine with a larger throat is, so that will influence your choice of machine.

Find out the maximum throat size that will fit on the frame and carriage.

I have a HQ 16 that I bought used and I love it. It gives me about 11 inches of usable throat space for most quilts. For smaller quilts (lap, baby), i get about 12", larger quilts as little as 9". There are machines that have 13" or 14" throats that are fairly reasonable to buy.

After a while, a 9" throat feels very confining. So does 16", but, in my case, that's caused by the usual lust for bigger and better, not necessity.

Consider a used mid-arm machine. Bailey makes a 13" and a 15" machine, and seems to be reasonably priced. I've never used a Bailey, so you now know what i know about them.

No matter what size machine you decide to buy, you will want handles to attach to guide the machine on the frame, so add that to the items you will have to get.

If you buy used from a private seller, make sure that the machine works before you make the purchase.