Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need some advise...never made a quilt before! >

Need some advise...never made a quilt before!

Need some advise...never made a quilt before!

Old 07-03-2011, 08:57 AM

My 12 year old wants me to make him a quilt for his twin size bed...he wants it black red and white his school colors...he also wants a tigershark and a tiger paw on it somehow! I was thinking if I did the pieces to look like bricks in different variations of those colors that would be ok. Its for a boy and I was not sure how much material that would need etc...
Old 07-03-2011, 10:08 AM

I never know how much to buy so I always overdo it! That's how fabric stash is born! :-D
Old 07-03-2011, 10:22 AM

Brick stack is very forgiving, good choice !! Can add an applique, after you get the top made,

*fabric measurement*
Amount of fabric will be based on how many colors, and how big you'll be making the bricks, minus the seams. (get your math on :)) Or do like many of us or just me ;) overbuy, make pillows, with whats left, add to the stash like bernie mentioned :).

There are sites Q sites that have the measurements available, Happy Quilting !!
Old 07-03-2011, 10:35 AM
Power Poster

Your twin will probably be around 60x80 so 1 1/2 yards of each color should be good to start. I would definitely prewash those colors to be safe.

In general, I get backing, batting, and binding after the top is done because I like to audition.

Are you going to applique the special messages?

BTW: you are a good mom. :thumbup:
Old 07-03-2011, 04:01 PM

My son is a pretty talented artist so I thought I'd have him draw out the tigershark pattern to the scale that I need it for the quilt on heavy cardboard and then I will attempt to applique it on the quilt.

I went to walmart and all the fabric they have in the colors I need is very girlie...so I am considering buying flat sheets in black red and white. Doing the bricks in red with black "mortar". And then a few white bricks that I can put the apliques on! 5oes that sound like I'm rhinking right??? The flat sheets for a ywin bed r 5 dollars for a lot of fabric!
Old 07-04-2011, 06:03 AM

The sheets will work out fine. Even if they are not all cotton, but a cotton blend. Isn't it fun to make things for our children? And having him design part of it will make it more special.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:48 AM

You could always put the tiger shark and tiger paw on the quilt using variegated or colorful thread and quilting those designs on top of whatever quilt top you make.

ali