Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need some ideas PLEASE >

Need some ideas PLEASE

Need some ideas PLEASE

Old 10-12-2010, 08:58 PM

I am new to quilting. I want to make a memory throw cover for my Sister n Law for Christmas.

I only have about four photos to use.I need a pattern that is easy to make that I can incorporate these photos into and make it look nice.

All help is greatly appreciated.If it were a wall hanging I could figure it out. But she hasn't any room on her wall for anything else :lol: She hoards very sentimental!!!
Old 10-12-2010, 09:12 PM

Hi Berta,
I am pretty new to this but what about an irish chain with pictures in 3 out of 4 corners and the center and a heart in the remaining corner? Conversely, one could do a heart in the center with the photos in all the corners?
Hope this sparks an idea! :)
Old 10-12-2010, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by LadyJrhi
Hi Berta,
I am pretty new to this but what about an irish chain with pictures in 3 out of 4 corners and the center and a heart in the remaining corner? Conversely, one could do a heart in the center with the photos in all the corners?
Hope this sparks an idea! :)
I am really NEW to quilting.I don't know what an Irish Chain is? :oops:
Old 10-13-2010, 01:56 AM
Power Poster

Check out this site.

http://quilting.about.com/od/picture...Memory-Quilts/

see if anything would work.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:51 AM

I suggest a very simple log cabin with the picture as the center. If you don't know how to transfer the pictures to cloth you could just make a clear plastic pocket in the center to slip the pictures into. I did something similiar for my middle brother's 25th wedding anniversary. I used pictures from their life together and used the colors from their wedding as my color choices. It was going to be a wallhanging so I used satins etc. as their wedding was Valentine's weekend and used Christmas colors for the attendants etc. I think they liked it.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:00 AM

I am in the thinking stage of a memory quilt I'm making for a family member. I'll be using a combination of photos and fabric pieces from the person's clothing (this is a challenge because they are all sorts of fabrics -- will need stabilizers).

Anyway, I've decided to do a log cabin quilt, as someone else suggested. Probably only two strip-frames around each center square.

For the photos, I've ordered some Bubble Jet Set, a fabric pre-treatment product that you soak your fabric in before printing the photo on the fabric (it sets the ink permanently). Then I'll iron the fabric onto freezer paper (yes, the kind you buy for use in the kitchen) to stabilize it before putting it through the printer.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:01 AM
Power Poster

How about using the photos for the centers of stars? You may have to add a couple of strips around the photos to make things fit.
Or maybe do the Yellow Brick Road pattern, and make some of the pieces to be the photos~
Old 10-13-2010, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by mpspeedy
I suggest a very simple log cabin with the picture as the center. If you don't know how to transfer the pictures to cloth you could just make a clear plastic pocket in the center to slip the pictures into. I did something similiar for my middle brother's 25th wedding anniversary. I used pictures from their life together and used the colors from their wedding as my color choices. It was going to be a wallhanging so I used satins etc. as their wedding was Valentine's weekend and used Christmas colors for the attendants etc. I think they liked it.
I do know how to put the photos on fabric that was my plan.But What would the rest of the log cabin blocks have in them?
Old 10-13-2010, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Mariposa
How about using the photos for the centers of stars? You may have to add a couple of strips around the photos to make things fit.
Or maybe do the Yellow Brick Road pattern, and make some of the pieces to be the photos~
Well problem is again I don't know what a the yellow brick road is.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:46 PM

Actually I am considering a nine patch and working the photos in with them
What does every one think of that?

Thanks for all the great suggestions!