Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need some suggestions for quilt pattern... >

Need some suggestions for quilt pattern...

Need some suggestions for quilt pattern...

Old 04-09-2012, 10:42 AM

Default Need some suggestions for quilt pattern...

My sister's co-worker sent me about a 27" square of fabric that she wants me to use in a quilt for her upcoming grandbaby. Of course it is really too small to make a nice baby quilt out of so I thought about using my A Walk in the Woods charms that I was hoping to make a quilt out of. We really don't "need" another quilt and of course I could always get more. So do you think the colors look ok together? I also put the red and snow white solid fabric with it for either extra fabric/sashing/binding.

So what do you think of the colors and what pattern would you do for a baby? Oh the fabric she sent is kinda hard, not very soft so I would like to cut it up into squares or something. Also, I haven't done many pattern quilts, just patchwork or a jelly roll quilt so other than that, I am a newbie. lol

Old 04-09-2012, 11:05 AM

I think it looks good together, if the fabric is not a softer fabric being for a baby I agree I would cut it up to maybe into thin sashing pieces or use it as corner stones. Good luck!!!Love to see the finished product and what you came up with!
Old 04-09-2012, 11:37 AM

It would also be nice as the background for a large, appliqued center block, with multi-colored (smaller) surrounding blocks.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:43 AM

Has the fabric been washed yet? There may be sizing in it still and would soften with washing..
Old 04-09-2012, 12:02 PM
Power Poster

Which fabric was it she sent? If it was the turquoise stripe, then the other fabrics look great with it. The only one I'd leave it is the red. Red and I do not have a good relationship! I had one bleed and I tend to shy away from it although it does look good with the other fabrics you have. As for pattern, a Disappearing 9 patch would be nice. I think QB has a directional tutorial for D9P?
Old 04-09-2012, 12:22 PM

No, it hasn't been washed yet. I am in the middle of laundry today so I will try to get it washed. I was thinking about the D9P type quilt. I haven't tried one yet and would like to. She has said she would like minky on the back. I have quilted with it before, not fond of it, but at least I know what to expect from it.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:35 PM

Well I sent my sister two pictures of patterns, D9p and a stacked coins. The lady just wants me to use the fabric as is and just add yellow around it with the yellow minky on back. She said the room is different colors and didn't want the quilt to clash. Um ok, so off to make a simple and boring quilt, in my opinion but it is what she wants.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:50 PM
Banned

yep, it is HER quilt, so you have to do it her way...sigh..boring...
Old 04-11-2012, 05:20 AM

OK, I finished the blanket. I added minky to the edges in hopes of keeping the harder fabric off the baby as much as I could. I also added Warm & Natural batting, a light layer, to make it a little softer too. Also, there is minky on the back. I didn't bind it since I didn't have anything but colors here and she didn't want colors. The outside edges are sown as well as the border of the minky and fabric. Once it was washed, the harder fabric did soften some but not much. Oh well, it is what she wanted.