Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need suggection for longarm quilting m/c...please >

need suggection for longarm quilting m/c...please

need suggection for longarm quilting m/c...please

Old 11-02-2010, 06:32 AM

Good Morning,
My mother has a Janome mid arm with a grace pro frame for sale. She wants 1500.00 for the sewing machine and frame, of course I see you live in Chicago so that could be a problem with shipping, she lives in Maine.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:17 AM

I'm going to second and third the suggestions about going to a big show and driving every machine there. You may need to go to several shows.

Buying a longarm is like buying a car: What works best for each of us may not be what's best for you.

Start with the features:

I wouldn't be without the hydraulic lift and the ergo-handles, but them I'm quilting 5 to 8 hours a day. I need to be able to make small changes to save my back.

Do you want/need a stitch regulator? It does make that learning curve a little flatter.

Do you need a dealer right next to you, or are you capable (with a little training) of diving in and working on your own machine?

Good luck, and HAVE FUN!
Old 11-02-2010, 08:37 AM

AliKat Bond?
Old 11-02-2010, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by AliKat
Hi Lotus,

Make a list of what you really want:
size
computerized or only free motion
classes for learning to use it
price
and any other questions.

I have the HandiQuilter with the ProStitcher. Got the HQ used and added the computerized portion when it came out and was on sale. I had classes locally. I was at another quilt guild's meeting and met another HQ person. She told me she never goes to the local reps for help ... just calls HQ and they walk her through any problems. I tried it and she was sooo right on.

ali
This a good one to follow

:thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 11-02-2010, 10:15 AM

Check out http://www.renaequilts.com/ and put "choosing a longarm article" in the search box at the top right. The article has to be "bought" but it's really free. She gives you lots of things to think about and ask about...things I didn't know to ask when I bought my longarm.

I love my Innova. Easy to use and move, user friendly, and a real person 24/7/365 if you need help with anything (including tension, the bane of a longarmer's existence!!!). ABM International is an American company (Texas) that is a family owned and run company. They have been in the commercial quilting machine business for over 70 years, so they ship internationally and have to support those international sales with real live person help 24/7 and we benefit from that! Nice to have a home machine that is built to commercial standards at a decent price (comes with so much that other companies consider extras).
Old 11-02-2010, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltQtrs
Check out Craigslist.com in your area, and EBay for Long Arm Quilting
Machines.
And sometimes you won't find the really good longarms on those lists because the owners won't sell them! Sometimes it's the not-so-great machines that are found there. That said, my longarm may be for sale after my oldest daughter and I both die unless I can get my 3-year-old granddaughter into it too!