Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need suggestion for King sized quilt >

Need suggestion for King sized quilt

Need suggestion for King sized quilt

Old 05-29-2013, 07:28 AM

Default Need suggestion for King sized quilt

Hi All,

I am new to quilting. I have been following the board for a little bit and am just in awe of the beautiful work that is posted. Wow!!! I Worked with a group to make a DP9 which was raffled off at a craft fair. Made a DBL size Dresden plate quilt, 2 Christmas Tree skirts, table runners, and place mats. I am hooked!! I am planning on making a King Size quilt for my Florida home. Colors will include sage, dark green, and dusty pink. Maybe something with palm trees. Any suggestions for a pattern that can be done by a newbie and will match a FL decor? Thank-you so much!!
Old 05-29-2013, 07:35 AM

First of all I would do a search for "fabric with palm trees" (put that in a search engine). To make it large as you plan, I would do a square 12 in of the palm fabric alternating with another block that you are comfortable with. Just a jumping off suggestion, they'll be lots of others, and you'll come up with some good ideas yourself. Good luck with your project.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:39 AM

A few years ago I found a batik with palm trees in greens. Maybe you could find some of that.
As for the pattern- maybe a Double Slice Layer Cake from MSQC. Or a pattern for Fq..
Old 05-29-2013, 08:49 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

Jenny Doan has a YouTube tutorial on a king size quilt. The blocks are something like 16". It's called Big Star quilt. My dear friend made one and it's beautiful! It's not hard to make. The pattern is in her magazine called 'Quilting Quickly' also, but she tells you everything about it in her YouTube video. It's a lovely quilt and easy enough for a beginner but looks like it was hard to make!
Old 05-29-2013, 10:12 AM
Power Poster

Can't with the pattern and fabrics.
Just want to welcome you to this wonderful board. Lots of knowledgeable people of here. Always willing to help when they can.
Welcome from Missouri.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
Jenny Doan has a YouTube tutorial on a king size quilt. The blocks are something like 16". It's called Big Star quilt. My dear friend made one and it's beautiful! It's not hard to make. The pattern is in her magazine called 'Quilting Quickly' also, but she tells you everything about it in her YouTube video. It's a lovely quilt and easy enough for a beginner but looks like it was hard to make!
Jenny has a lot of tutorials on the we site. http://quiltingtutorials.com/
Old 05-29-2013, 10:48 AM

I just finished a king size for my bed and had it quilted by gramyx7 (member of this board) and it came out gorgous. It is Jenny Doan's tute of youtube. I used Kansas troubles fabric for all.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 05-29-2013, 12:23 PM

Thank you all for the suggestions. Great ideas. Charming - the quilt is gorgeous!!!
Old 05-30-2013, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by sewmom View Post
A few years ago I found a batik with palm trees in greens. Maybe you could find some of that.
As for the pattern- maybe a Double Slice Layer Cake from MSQC. Or a pattern for Fq..
LOL, I have some of that fabric too!
Old 05-30-2013, 07:34 AM

What about a giant block in the middle. An appliqued palm tree inside a square in a square. A large star block. A medallion like a mariner's compass, a large dresden plate, a lone star quilt? (for lone star, check for strip piecing directions). Then you can put smaller blocks around this center block, or borders.