Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need suggestions from all the hand quilters... >

Need suggestions from all the hand quilters...

Need suggestions from all the hand quilters...

Old 10-21-2012, 03:24 PM

I use Jean Brown's 14" lap hoop. It is sturdy and is heavy enough to be able to use Roxanne McElroy's 'That Perfect Stitch'. A regular hoop wouldn't work, because there is nothing to hold it down and you have to hold the hoop. I have used it for bigger quilts, though not yet a queen or king size. I like that you can quilt toward you.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:25 PM

To add to my last post, anything larger than 14" would be too large for me to reach across. It depends on the length of your arms.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:27 PM
Power Poster

I started quilting at age 7. Didnt know about hoops then, ztill dont. I never use a hoop, and they turn out beautiful. I do row quilting
Old 10-21-2012, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
I too am embarking on my first hand quilting project and it is a Queen size DWR. Don't make the mistake that I made and buy one of the pvc frames! I got it off of Craigslist for $30 but it is too big and too difficult to maneuver. I lucked out at a garage sale recently. The lady had one just like the one pictured in KentuckyRed's post. I was talking to the lady and told her what I was trying to hand quilt and she gave it to me!! It is working out well!
I also have the free standing PVC frame.It is hard to use, but the handheld ones are great..I have them in a couple of sizes
Old 10-21-2012, 07:10 PM

I also handquilt without using a frame or a hoop. I keep trying to use one, but I'm just not comfortable doing it. I also get nice, consistant, small stitches without frame or hoop. When I try to use one, I get larger stitches and they are not consistant. It's really all in what YOU are comfortable with. Lucky for you that the weather is getting cooler. That king-sized quilt will keep you nice and warm while you quilt it! You may find that you like handquilting so much that you never want to send another one out Happy Quilting!!!
Old 10-21-2012, 07:18 PM

I too tried several different sizes of hoops. They were just awkward for me.
Then a friend told me "there are no rules, you do what's comfortable and fun for you".
Since then, I've not used a hoop. Just made sure it's pinned well.
That's the beauty of this craft. You do whatever works for you.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:30 PM

I have a Hinterberg quilting frame - mainly because I was given a bonus at work and decided to spend it on me for a change. So they are pricey - have you checked out Shopgoodwill.com? A lot get donated to the thrift shops so you may want to take a day and check them out. Not sure how good they are to tell you if they have any in the shop or not. Sure wished you lived closer so you can try mine. Being King size it is going to be hard to do the center - have fun - it will take a while, but when it is done you are going to be so happy.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:33 PM

I don't use a hoop either I have several but they just don't feel right and I can't lay them in my lap proper
so I do best with just quilting without any hoops.