Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need Suggestions putting quilt together

Need Suggestions putting quilt together

I have been practicing making blocks.. Now I want to put them together to make a quilt with them.
    My problem is they are all sizes ranging for 6" to 12". They are all black, red and white.

I would appreciate any suggestions
    Patti

If you have a design wall you can try different arrangement until they all fit. I used to use my bed and the floor also. You need to decide if you want sashing around the blocks -if so how wide, then borders.

Blog Entries
    i would lay them out on the floor or a design wall, fitting them together as it pleases you. then you plan the sashing or other focus block to place in between. you have to be careful to sew together in the right order
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

I would sit down with graph paper and "lay" the blocks out that way. You can add filler strips and smaller block designs to fill in the larger spaces. You can make mini 9 patches, checkerboard strips, mini friendship stars, flying geese strips in several sizes, etc, etc to fill out a design and it'll be far more interesting and look like it's supposed to be that way instead of the "just sash them all to the same size" method.

Blog Entries
    also, i like to do Google image searches... here's a link to one for sampler quilts. most of the quilts have same-sized blocks. but if you scroll through, you will see some that have odd-sized blocks arranged http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&g...w=1012&bih=603
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

We did a raffle quilt for our guild like this a few years ago.

Basically we tried to take various sized blocks and put them together into larger blocks that were all the same size, and then into rows or columns. So you might choose 18" as a common size, using a 12" block, a couple of 6" blocks and then fillers for the rest - 4 patches, flying geese, half square triangles or plain strips to fill in the odd sizes.

It's sort of like putting a jigsaw puzzle together. It was a lot of work, but fun to see how it all came together and we had many compliments on the quilt.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-22-2012 at 10:54 AM. Reason: PM to member

Four 6" blocks equal one 12" block. A 9" block with a 1-1/2" border equals a 12" block. A 6" block with a 3" border equals a 12" block. If you go for 12" blocks, you can make adjustments to the smaller blocks (combine them or border them) and get all 12" blocks.

Awesome suggestions!!!!

Great, I love it. I really want to showcase each pattern. should I use the same color border? I was trying to figure a way to make it a 3d looking top. My idea was to use 4 12" block in the middle, then 6" blocks around that then move to 8" blocks etc. the end with 12" blocks on the outer border, but I can't seem to work it out.

thanks so much for the suggestions
    Patti

I like that idea, thanks to all for so much help
    Patti

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast