Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need suggestions >

need suggestions

need suggestions

Old 01-16-2012, 08:21 AM

Red face need suggestions

I am a fairly new quilter (piecer) and the quilt that I am in the process of making has one block that is entirely applique. I have never done applique so what would be the easiest method for me to use. I really appreciate any help given.

Thanks so much.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:56 AM

the easiest method is to use WonderUnder or some other kind of heat bond to stick your appliques to your base fabric and then sew around the edges with your machine or by hand. I use my machines fancier stitches for applique around the edges. You can use the basic zigzag around the edge which is what I used to do until I got a new machine. Most times now I use a kids glue stick to attach my appliques. I can pick them up and move them around for about a half hour. They then are stuck pretty good until the quilt goes through the wash and it washes out unlike the wonderunder which is permanent.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by mommabear62 View Post
I am a fairly new quilter (piecer) and the quilt that I am in the process of making has one block that is entirely applique. I have never done applique so what would be the easiest method for me to use. I really appreciate any help given.

Thanks so much.
Make sure if you use a fusible it's meant to be sewn! I personally like Wonder Under 805. It's the lightweight one. Then you can use several different stitches to finish your edges. You can use a satin stitch, a blanket stitch, or a straight stitch. You can use matching thread for the satin stitch, a single color for the blanket stitch or invisible thread for the straight stitch.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:37 AM

One thing you can do, if your pieces are big enough, is to sew them (right side in) to a used dryer sheet. Then just make a slit in the dryer sheet and turn them inside out, pillowcase style. I find this easier than trying to turn edges under as I go, and it will prevent raveling. Then you can either baste them to your fabric or use a temporary adhesive to hold them in place while you sew them down. When you cut your pieces, you'll have to add a scant quarter inch around each piece to allow for turning them inside out.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:37 PM
Power Poster

It depends on how intricate the applique is. I usually perfer the Wonder Under fusible method for most intricate blocks. If it is one big shape like a heart or star, I would use the used dryer sheet method. You basically sew all around the shape with the dryer sheet on the right side of the fabric. You trim the dryer sheet and applique seam allowance, clip curves or the points, cut a slit in the dryer sheet and turn the shape right side out. You then carefully iron the shape until you get it perfect and then stitch it to your background square. You can stitch your prepared applique down by hand or machine. Good luck on your first applique adventure.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:43 PM

I use "steam a seam" and love it. The instructions seem confusing at first, but once you do one, it is totally clear.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:04 PM

This is how I do it.
1. Cut my shape out of Freezer Paper.
2. Iron the shiny side onto the back of my fabric.
3. Cut out the shape 1/4" bigger than the Freezer Paper.
4. Either use Elmer's glue or liquid starch on the seam allowance & fold it over the Freezer Paper.
5. Press it down with a hot iron.
6. Take the paper off & repress.
7. Use the glue to position the applique onto the backing fabric & heat set it with the iron.
8. Sew it down.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by pacquilter View Post
One thing you can do, if your pieces are big enough, is to sew them (right side in) to a used dryer sheet. Then just make a slit in the dryer sheet and turn them inside out, pillowcase style. I find this easier than trying to turn edges under as I go, and it will prevent raveling. Then you can either baste them to your fabric or use a temporary adhesive to hold them in place while you sew them down. When you cut your pieces, you'll have to add a scant quarter inch around each piece to allow for turning them inside out.
I really like this idea!