Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Suggestions >

Need Suggestions

Need Suggestions

Old 09-18-2013, 07:02 PM

Angry Need Suggestions

I am making a quilt to be raffled off for a charity next month. I wanted a soft flannel backing, so I bought a whole bolt (from JoAnn's), took it home, and washed it.
When I took it out of the dryer, it has MASSIVE pilling, on both front and back. Obviously, I cannot use this on the back, now, but other than using tape to lift off the pill balls, I don't know how to fix this in the time frame I have available. I still have to finish the quilt, and need time to get it quilted, and bound.
So, does anyone have any other suggestions, or should I just give up and buy a different backing?
Old 09-18-2013, 07:19 PM

I wonder if washing it again would help?
Old 09-18-2013, 07:22 PM
Power Poster

When I have pilling on a sweater, I use my little electric pill remover. I have also used it on the cushions of my fabric recliner. I wonder if you could use it on flannel?
Old 09-18-2013, 07:25 PM

I'd say , for this quilt , just buy something else so you get it done. I would take it back to JoAnn's with your receipt and complain about it. Connecting Threads has nice flannel.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:33 PM

I use the little battery shaver but I dislike flannel that pills. It will take you some time to de-pill it, but that is what I would do rather than take the time to run out and buy again and maybe have the same problem. I am only buying flannel from connecting threads or hancocks of Paducah and such.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:42 PM

When I need yardage at a great price I use the quilters roost. The end of the bolts are 1-8 yard pieces marked down to 6 dollars a yard. She discounts further all the time. I just bought 5 yards of moda flannel for a backing for 33 dollars. She has many pieces of flannel as of the other day if you don't have a local place
Old 09-18-2013, 07:50 PM

Take it back! Unacceptable. I suggest you use minkee. So soft and comfy! Will bring in a lot of $$
Old 09-18-2013, 07:53 PM

I would definitely return. But I can also say that I've used Joann's flannel and not had any problems at all. It's a shame that their fabric is hit or miss when it comes to quality.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:19 PM

With such a large piece, are you sure it isn't just loose lint? Some flannel is VERY linty, the first several times it's washed. When I wash a piece of several yards, I wash/dry, then take it outside and give it a good shaking. Then I wash/dry it again. During each drying session, I clean the lint filter, about every 10 minutes. Doing an entire bolt of flannel . . . well, I can't even imagine how much lint must end up in the dryer!!!
Old 09-18-2013, 11:29 PM

Thanks for all your suggestions. I was very disappointed when I saw how it looked. Since this is going to be raffled off, it has to be as near to perfect as I can get it. I did not even think about the little electric shaver things, but I don't want to spend so much time dong that - the pilling is huge, on both sides. If I wasn't on a deadline, I could probably work with that idea. I think I will just buy another piece, so I can make sure I can get it done on time. I have never tried minkee, but I love a soft, snuggly back - that's why I usually use flannel. I have just never had this big of an issue with it before