Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need suggestions... >

Need suggestions...

Need suggestions...

Old 02-24-2014, 04:47 AM

Post Need suggestions...

I'm wanting to raise my cutting table (think that's why my back hurts). I have a long board on top of my Mam Maw's old Singer treadle & want to get a longer/wider one.
How can I do this?
Thanks for any ideas...
Old 02-24-2014, 05:13 AM

i was cutting on an good solid wood table. my husband made a raiser out of wood which i set
on the table and then on top of that he made a large plywood board i use for my ironing
i also cut on that board. i am taller so this is just perfect. no bending.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:25 AM
Power Poster

If you were using a different cabinet, I would suggest getting bed raisers, but I'm not sure how stable this would be due to the narrow footprint of the case. I would get a couple base kitchen cabinets from a home or recycle store and add a top. You can test this height first by doing a bit of cutting on your kitchen counter.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:39 AM

I raised the kitchen table to use for cutting by putting those feet that raise chairs. They worked fine.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
If you were using a different cabinet, I would suggest getting bed raisers, but I'm not sure how stable this would be due to the narrow footprint of the case. I would get a couple base kitchen cabinets from a home or recycle store and add a top. You can test this height first by doing a bit of cutting on your kitchen counter.
I agree, and you can adjust the height of the counter by cutting leaving off the toe kicks or adding higher ones for your comfort. We actually did a counter for my MIL without the toe kicks for her baking and rolling dough needs as she is short.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:50 AM

OR.. if you have someone "handy" ... create a box to sit on top of the treadle base... screw it onto the board top.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:58 AM

My cutting table is actually a steel door (or could be wood or wood board) on top of a book case and a short chests of drawers. the height is about 22" and a good height for me. Book case and drawers hold up either end of the door and give me good storage. Center is open so I put my scrap bin there.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:15 AM

You can either buy bed risers (less than $10) or some people put the legs into PVC pipes (which are cut to size). Easy solution, good luck.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:21 AM

that is what I was really thinkin….
Originally Posted by HillCountryGal View Post
OR.. if you have someone "handy" ... create a box to sit on top of the treadle base... screw it onto the board top.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:33 AM

Do you have room for another piece of furniture? If so you have a lot more options. Cabinets, a rolling kitchen or bar type cart, and more. Even those metal like shelving units, if put together correctly, work well and can have wheels put on if you want.

Otherwise, what can you lift easily. If not much then you may need a 2 part box like structure. The bottom 4 sided base and then the top which could have a piece of wood trim put on the bottom so that it keeps it all in place. [like an upside down picture frame.]