Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need thread advice >

need thread advice

need thread advice

Old 05-31-2011, 07:36 AM

My current quilt has a lot of black with soft white swirls on the front, along with yellow, grey, and a light burgandy, also a mottled orange on the back. I selected a varagated thread to outline the stars and swan on the front. However, when quilting on the black, I am concerned that the varigated thread might distract from the remainder of the quilt. Would you please share your experiences using invisible thread. So far, my research has only found 'nylon' based thread. I'm worried about it 'cutting' the fabric. What would you suggest? I will try to figure out how to upload pictures of the WIP which will make the problem more understandable. I've taken the pictures with my cell phone. Now just need to figure out how to upload them.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:05 AM

Invisible thread is a pain to use. I have a spool of YLI that I've been using for years. I don't know if it's poly or nylon but it doesn't melt. If it's a bed quilt I think I'd just switch to black thread on the black parts.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:36 AM

looking forward to the pics
Old 05-31-2011, 08:57 AM
Banned

Superior Threads monopoly is a polyester invisible thread. Saying that, I like Madeira Monofil for quilting, if I have to use an invisible thread.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by grandma pepsi
My current quilt has a lot of black with soft white swirls on the front, along with yellow, grey, and a light burgandy, also a mottled orange on the back. I selected a varagated thread to outline the stars and swan on the front. However, when quilting on the black, I am concerned that the varigated thread might distract from the remainder of the quilt. Would you please share your experiences using invisible thread. So far, my research has only found 'nylon' based thread. I'm worried about it 'cutting' the fabric. What would you suggest? I will try to figure out how to upload pictures of the WIP which will make the problem more understandable. I've taken the pictures with my cell phone. Now just need to figure out how to upload them.
Picture of WIP
[ATTACH=CONFIG]204796[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-204790.jpe  
Old 05-31-2011, 12:13 PM

The fabric at the bottom is actually the backing. I really don't want black thread to show up. The light blue is really grey, and the black is showing up as blue. Sorry about the color distortions.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:25 PM
Banned

Without seeing it in person, it's not an easy call, but I think an orange thread close to the backing fabric color would look killer on the black!
Old 05-31-2011, 04:49 PM
Power Poster

When I have a mix of light and dark areas, I like to go with a mid-range grey thread. It knids of blends with most colours.