Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Tips on Making Deluxe Quilted Doggy and Kitty Beds >

Need Tips on Making Deluxe Quilted Doggy and Kitty Beds

Need Tips on Making Deluxe Quilted Doggy and Kitty Beds

Old 02-09-2016, 08:33 AM

What I do is to make a pillow case, and then sew channels into it, to stuff. The channels are so that the stuffing doesn't get bunchy. I make sure that they are pliable enough to fit in a washer/dryer. I stuff with batting scraps and small fabric scraps.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:39 AM
Power Poster

They really don't want to mess with having to remove casings then have to match up later. Couple of my towels tore at the ends but being large towels I was able to bind so it wouldn't fray. I sew a large piece or couple and cross hatch or linear stitch 2 fabrics together. Easier to wash. So I agree with tesspug. easy does it.
Originally Posted by tesspug View Post
If you are making beds for the shelter, don't go to any great lengths. Beds have to be constantly washed and get torn up. That's why they ask for towels. Basically anything for the shelter is going to be a disposable.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:33 AM

I'm not looking for shelter beds, but big, thick beds to make for my 2 large dogs, as well as two, smaller, cozy beds for my 2 cats. As I said before, one of my dogs is incontinent, so I need to find some sort of waterproof material for the top of the cover. I must also be able to remove the cover frequently, so that I can wash it. The kitty beds should also have a removable cover, so that I can wash the cat hair and dirt that accumulates. (It's amazing how much dirt they make, even though they're just little cats.) Thanks for all of the tips.

~ Cindy
Old 02-09-2016, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
I'm not looking for shelter beds, but big, thick beds to make for my 2 large dogs, as well as two, smaller, cozy beds for my 2 cats. As I said before, one of my dogs is incontinent, so I need to find some sort of waterproof material for the top of the cover. I must also be able to remove the cover frequently, so that I can wash it. The kitty beds should also have a removable cover, so that I can wash the cat hair and dirt that accumulates. (It's amazing how much dirt they make, even though they're just little cats.) Thanks for all of the tips.

~ Cindy
just a thought-would PUL- like you use to make diaper covers work for this?