Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need your advice please...

I'm finishing a dresdan plate quilt that my MIL started in 1981. I'm not an experienced quilter. I've made some baby quilts that look pretty good and have been loved, but no long term experience here. Some of the center circles just barely cover the the hole the plate pieces leave in the middle;-0 There is no additional fabric to make new center circles and try as I may... I just can't match the fabric from that long ago to make new circles.

It is very hard to applique the center circles to fabric that is just barely there. I was thinking of backing the center circles with fusible web. My thinking is that it will give the piece more stability and make it easier to sew the circles down.

Anyone have any advice? is this a good idea? Do you have a better idea???
    TIA

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    That is certainly an option. Be sure to buy a kind of fusible you can sew. Some of it isn't for sewing.

Blog Entries
    I would be afraid that even with fusible, you may end up with fraying if the hole is barely covered. When you say it barely covers, are you talking about 1/16" or a 1/4"? A 1/4" is fine, but if it is less I would find another fabric to use. :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    I would get some new fabric and recut/resew the circles so the holes are covered.

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    I would get some new fabric and recut/resew the circles so the holes are covered.
    I agree, the small amount of coverage is just going to be a big problem later with washing.

This is what I would do also, I am sure you can find something that would look good with it. Good luck and be sure to post a picture when it's done. :)

Or may be first sew the circle on a bit larger circle of 'new' fabric ? That way the centre would be bigger, you still use the original center and there'll be just a edge visible of the newer fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by spinnergs
    I agree, the small amount of coverage is just going to be a big problem later with washing.
    I also agree. I know you are concerned you can't match the colours, but if you make all the centres the same it will look cohesive. Hope that makes sense.

It would be a shame to put in a lot of work and have problems with the centres afterwards.

Junior Member Miss Purple Shoes's Avatar
    Could you choose plain fabric for the centres? Maybe you have some plain scraps that you could use. Then you won't have to try to match the older fabric.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fabric lover
    Or maybe first sew the circle on a bit larger circle of 'new' fabric ? That way the centre would be bigger, you still use the original center and there'll be just a edge visible of the newer fabric.
    That's what I was thinking so she could use the fabrics that were intended on this quilt, but adding another piece to sort of form a ring around it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast