Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6

Thread: Need your input

I just finished a zigzag quilt using this method and it was fun. Starch does help. It was a fun way to make HST. If your happy with your results then your good to go.

I am in the process of making a CA king bedspread using the tutorial from MQC....it will take 16 "big stars"....I have 7 completed...I do starch all the pieces and they are coming out GREAT....the one tool that I did get (a gift) was a 12 inch turning cutting mat....really works....
    There is no place like home!

Beautiful fabric and love the pattern. The practice block look fine. Good luck and let us hear from you.

Yes, I agree about garment sewing vs quilting.....I have done more rip it rip it with quilting than with the garments.

Happy quilting.

Linda

Sew little time and sew many ideas

Blog Entries
    I've used that method given by Jennie Doan and had no problems at all and so very simple to do. I agree, starch heavily.

I made the quilt using the video on MSQC and it worked fine, I did have to square up my blocks which she does not mention in the video. The quilt top is finished but I have not had it quilted. I did not use the HST ruler...I am thinking that person wanted to sell a ruler. There are many ways to do blocks...none of them are wrong, just different.

I've done her method with 5" squares, and it worked fine.

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
    LOL, if you cut a triangle you will have at least one edge not on the straight grain. Whether it's scary or not is a personal choice.

Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
    If you cut a square, then sew on each side of a drawn diagonal line, it stablizes the bias before you cut, the resultant HST has straight grain on all 4 sides.

It will result in a two piece square that has 4 straight sides, but the sewn center will still be cut on a bias-------already sewn................. but still a bias cut. at least one side of any triangle will NOT be on the straight.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

I agree with PaperPrincess. I have the most success with NOT using open bias edges so I layer, draw the diagonal & sew before cutting...works every time.
    Love your fabric choices! Good luck with the project & post pics when finished ok?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6