Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Needed: Sewing machine needle advice >

Needed: Sewing machine needle advice

Needed: Sewing machine needle advice

Old 04-27-2013, 06:25 AM

I do the same!!!!
Originally Posted by katier825 View Post
Most of the time I've got 90/14 in mine. I haven't had any problems with it.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:35 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

That is what I have in my sewing machine right now for piecing. For 2 1/2 years I had the worst problems with thread breakage with my new machine. Finally I went to my dealer and he said I was using 40 wt. thread and needed 90 needle. I tried it and it worked. No thread breakage again. You need to match you thread and needle to each other. Go to www.superiorthreads.com and go to their University and read about size of needle and weight of thread. You'll be glad you did.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:06 AM
IQ2

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
That is what I have in my sewing machine right now for piecing. For 2 1/2 years I had the worst problems with thread breakage with my new machine. Finally I went to my dealer and he said I was using 40 wt. thread and needed 90 needle. I tried it and it worked. No thread breakage again. You need to match you thread and needle to each other. Go to www.superiorthreads.com and go to their University and read about size of needle and weight of thread. You'll be glad you did.
Thank you very much, Jeanne. I printed out their article and the reference guide. They're just what I was looking for.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:32 AM
Power Poster

machine needles sizes are kind of (dependant) on the thread being used- larger needles will create larger holes-
visit the Superior Threads web site- they have free charts you can print off telling you about all the different needles/sizes-what they are best suited for; and also all the different threads, sizes/weights, which needle to use and their best purpose===it is a valuable resource to have.
as for your situation- try it & see, you don't mention what thread you are using- but it will probably be fine.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:43 AM

I use 90/14 on all my cottons, only change for thin or very heavy fabric and I have never had a problem.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:47 AM

Superior threads has a great website to show you what size needle you need for what size thread. Like was stated above, it's the thread type and weight that dictates the needle size.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
Could you tell us which article this is.....there are so many it was overwhelming! TIA!
Old 04-27-2013, 05:11 PM

For piecing I use a 75/11 quilting needle. I use either Aurifil or Prescencia thread for piecing and it's thin. It makes for more accurate seam allowances.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:00 PM

If a 14 needle is working for you with your machine, then keep using that. Most of the time I use a 70 or 80 needle when piecing. I like the 10 needle the best, and like Aurifil thread which is a 50 weight, but a thinner one. As long as your machine is happy that is what matters...and that you are getting accurate seams.