Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Needing a new machine >

Needing a new machine

Needing a new machine

Old 11-17-2010, 08:52 PM

Sadness consumed my very soul... alas my poor pfaff's foot control has given up. My mom gave me the Pfaff Creative 1473 CD a few years back and I just got into it. I was sewing my first big project.. an upcycled scrap blanket from old t shirts. I got to a queen sixe blanket and then my foot control died. I have asked for a replacement for my xmas gift but eventually.. repairing will cost more that just getting a new machine. So! My question to you crafty quilters is- what machine do you recommend? I would like a recommendation for 0-$400 and $400-1000. I do make clothes, sock monkeys, and Quilts. I need something that has the dual feet, free motion, free arm. etc. At this point, I don't really have any interest in embroidery. I have never really cared about embroidery. I am really curious what you guys recommend and the reason (availability of parts, ease of use, space for free motion, price, user friendliness, etc.)
Old 11-17-2010, 09:24 PM

Well, I bought a floor model from my LQS..a Pfaff 2038 (I think that's the number!) It does just what you want and no embroidery. I got it a little over a year ago and it ran about $900-1000 (or less)if my memory serves me. I'm not sure if any other brand has the dual feed yet. Find a dealer near you and see if they have anything you might like. A gently used machine saves alot of money and still has years of life left. Enjoy the hunt!
Old 11-17-2010, 10:28 PM

For just a good basic machine with no frills and a price tag under $100, I can highly recommend the Brother LX-3125 (I think that's right). It's the one Wal-mart has now with the 3 different facing decals to customize it. I've had mine for about a year now and it has done whatever I've wanted it to...corduroy, velvet, upholstery, fleece, denim, cotton, lining fabric, you name it...and it worked great. It did feed some of the heavier corduroy a bit unevenly, but I don't have a walking foot, so I really can't complain about that.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:54 PM
Kas

How can a new foot control pedal cost more than a new machine? Can't you find a used one on ebay or something? I don't know the whole story, but I would be suspect of the repair place. On the other hand, any excuse will do to get a new machine, sometimes! I hinted for three years that I wanted a Bernina. When the stitch regulator came out, I told my hubby it would make quilting so much easier for me. Well, I got the new machine and never use the BSR! Sometimes I feel guilty about it. Nah!
Old 11-17-2010, 11:12 PM

My best friend is selling her Bernina 240 for $1000 because she has purchased an embroidery/sewing machine. It has lots of feet and I have sewn on it. Great little machine. I don't think the BSR will work on it though. If you are interested, let me know.

Good luck with your search.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:35 AM

I just won a Janome 3160QDC at Threads of Time in Danville, Il. at the end of their customer appreciation days and I LOVE IT!!! It's an $800 machine. It comes with the small table thing (I don't know the proper name) a bunch of different feet, wide feed dogs that keep your fabric straighter, many different stitches, and my favorite--the thread cutter! When sewing with regular thread and you get to the end of the seam, just push the button and it takes both the top and bottom thread to the underside and clips them off at 1/2". You can lift the presser foot and start a new seam without pulling out any more thread, it will start sewing just fine. I absolutely don't know how I lived without it. Not only is it so convenient but it saves so much thread.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready
I just won a Janome 3160QDC at Threads of Time in Danville, Il. at the end of their customer appreciation days and I LOVE IT!!! It's an $800 machine. It comes with the small table thing (I don't know the proper name) a bunch of different feet, wide feed dogs that keep your fabric straighter, many different stitches, and my favorite--the thread cutter! When sewing with regular thread and you get to the end of the seam, just push the button and it takes both the top and bottom thread to the underside and clips them off at 1/2". You can lift the presser foot and start a new seam without pulling out any more thread, it will start sewing just fine. I absolutely don't know how I lived without it. Not only is it so convenient but it saves so much thread.
WOW, Raptureready! Congratulations! Enjoy your new toy.....

:thumbup: :-D
Old 11-18-2010, 05:54 AM

I love my Berninas :-)
Not sure whats available in your price range.
Don't forget about used machines, you can get a better quality machine instead of buying a new cheaper made machine.
Contact your local dealers and see what they have.
Machines are going to bought and traded at the holidays.
This may be a good time to get a machine.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:25 AM

i have three brother machines - all from wal mart - for the money you can't go wrong. even the old, old one my daughter gave me b/c she bought a new brother from wal mart sews really well. i take it to class when i teach.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:40 AM

Thank you all for the suggestions! @ Kas- not using it as an excuse... yet. I love this machine. I cried (no, really I did) when it stopped working. Technically, I learned on this Pfaff and I remember watching my mom sew all kinds of clothes on it. I just know, eventually it will cease to function. It has been running for 20 years and it is still an amazing machine. My dad is going to check out the foot, a Berina rep is also going to take a look. If all fails, the foot to replace will be around $100 +SH so eventually I will get back into it and finish my first quilt. I got my friend in to quilting just as my machine broke and I can not tell you how sad and bitter it can make you when your baby is broken and your friend is finishing quilts before you even get to start. Wish me a Christmas Miracle! <3